Day Twenty One

Jack. Day Twenty One - 17:15

There's no doubt in the fact that it's her.

I'm not being paranoid - not this time, and I'm well aware of the fact that she's not the only Cassadee in America. She just seems to fit entirely; everything makes sense and falls into place.

All her chats about this guy she was kind of crushing on, all of them fitted perfectly to Alex, and it had just been our two incompetent minds put together that were seemingly unable to connect the pieces back to this, back to Alex.

Alex said he was good, but I never realised he could be quite this good. To fool one of us was expected but to fool the both of us, especially when we were both in close contact with him and each other. That was just phenomenal, and overall very Alex.

I wasn't at all impressed though, by any means, this was all just nothing short of sickening, and my stomach had become a butterfly garden over the past day. I'd barely gotten any sleep; I'd been tossing and turning all night, and I was guilty to admit that Cassadee was only half of what was keeping me awake. The other half being the sound of the lock clicking as a key turned in the hole and then the echoed footsteps as Alex walked away.

He knows I want her to live, and he's far too determined to put a stop to that to even consider my own human rights for a second now. Killing drives him, and believe me, it's more than terrifying.

I can't even beg him to stop, because my only convincing argument lies in the fact that she's Cassadee, and she's my friend. I very much doubt Alex would take kindly to the fact that I'd been talking to her over the internet, and the fact that I had indeed spilled the truth about him out to her over email, but it was too late.

My message had been too late, leaving this nothing short of my fault.

She's was going to die because of me, and I couldn't stop it at all.

I wondered if Alex would keep me locked up in here until the deed was done, ensuring the safety of his seventh victim over my own sanity and basic human needs, because Alex, he just didn't get humanity. The concept was entirely foreign to him, and I think there was nothing more terrifying than an intelligent monster in human skin.

The fact that I was still desperately in love with him was slowly burning away at both my heart and sanity, and he knew this far too well, playing it all to his advantage like the sick, heartless bastard he was.

He didn't care that we had emotions; he didn't care about me at all and he certainly didn't care for Cassadee either, and the only real difference between the two of us, was that she didn't have the painstaking wait before she met her of course inevitable fate.

Because as much as Alex sugar-coated the situation with whichever lie fitted the moment best, it was always there - the fact that I would end up dead. Alex bought me here to kill me - not for me to fall in love with him. The latter was simply an unexpected consequence, which Alex had decided to play around with an exploit to his best ability.

But, of course, once all the benefits had been reaped, and I'd served my purpose, the inevitable would catch up with me and I'd meet the fate that had been chasing me ever since I took that drink at Joe's party, near enough three weeks ago.

The formula to staying alive though was disastrously simple; I just had to stay in love with him and let him use me, and then I'd be breathing and I'd be an asset, but I didn't want that anymore. I didn't want to be used and I didn't want to be a help in his mission of human annihilation, and I most certainly didn't want to be his casual fuck when he needed one.

And I wasn't going to be that anymore; I was going all out. I'm either his boyfriend, or I was his boyfriend, now residing six feet under yet in a place far better than this.