Chapter 1| Pilot

Chapter 1:
Be there for yourself as much as you are there for others. I think that's where I went wrong"- Alyssa

Mya Elise POV

I wiped another tear that shed. I miss you so much Alyssa.

"Mya Elise!! Come down here" my mom yelled from the kitchen.

I was distracted. I ignored my mom's first call for me, But when she called the second time frustration and annoyance filled her voice.

I was reading my sisters notebook, one of the things she left me before she died. Even though It's been two years since my sister killed herself, I still haven't finished the notebook. It's only because some pages were harder to read than others, they left me in a dejected state where I don't want to move or do anything at all. I licked my finger before flipping the page, folding down the page that was waiting to be read before sliding the notebook back under my bed "COMING" I yelled back.

I ran down the stairs with my fingers grazing the railing as I wondered what she needed. Probably asking me a question about school.

"Yes?" I said to her. She lifted her head up from the garlic cloves she was cutting up and stared at me. It felt like she was staring into my soul.

"Yes mom??" I exclaimed.

"Sydney is coming over later today for dinner. Can you set up the table?" She said slowly but sternly.

My mom wasn't the affectionate type. Ever since we lost Alyssa it's like I lost my mom too. All she did was work, cook and sleep. We rarely ever bonded anymore. It had a big impact on me but I came to the terms with the fact that things will never be the same.

I nodded my head but I didn't hide the fact I'd been crying. I ran back upstairs to get ready for dinner so I could set up the table without looking like a slob.

Sydney had been on a paid trip to our dream college we'd be officially attending in a few days, So this would be my first time seeing her in 19 days. I really  missed her.

It was not long until the doorbell rang. I went back downstairs to open the door. When I opened the door I saw Sydney standing next to a boy . An older boy. He had tattoos down his left arm, he was muscular with a perfect smile. I looked at Sydney wondering who this man was standing in front of me. And how my mom would freak the hell out if she saw him.

"Syd?? Uh who is this" I looked at him up and down one last time before giving Syd a death stare.

"This is Jace. Jace Hodges. Your mom didn't tell you I was bringing him? This is my boyfriend that I was telling you about that I met on the trip at Calvern Uni" she said with confusion on her face. I know she assumed I already knew he was coming.

"Oh" I said remembering the endless phone calls we spent talking about him. I felt that Sydney was moving too fast to only know him for a little over two weeks But she was stubborn and felt like she'd known him for forever so I stopped trying to talk sense into her.

Sydney and I have been best friends since second grade. Sometimes she was a little much for the average person but I wouldn't trade her for anything in the world. She was there for me the most when I lost my sister, She even shaved her head when I got cancer at 8 years old. If I named everything she did for me that I could never repay her for we would be here all day.

I took another look at Jace before letting Syd and him in.

Jace was attractive. His facial structure was defined, His skin was a golden tan color, his black curly hair laid messily on his head and his eyes were grey with hues of smokey blue and  hazel-brown. I was waiting for him to speak to me at the door or even greet my mom. ANYTHING but he remained silent, not saying a word.

I walked off leaving the door open so they could come in.

I sat down and so did Syd and Jace. His strong cologne overflowed my nostrils. But no matter how much cologne he wore, I could still smell a hint of weed. Great. A pothead.

I looked around the dining room, Looking at me and Alyssa's award shelf,It held trophies me and Alyssa got from soccer. They were beginning to rust because they were made with the cheap fake gold our school could afford. There were pictures of my dad and I from when he decided to show up at my  school events and soccer games, the dust collecting on a photo of my sister Alyssa graduating high school. I was observing these things because if we are being honest, Jace intimidated me and I wanted to look at anything else but him.

I could now see why Syd didn't tell me herself her boyfriend was coming. She knew I was a nervous wreck around new people and I would beg her to not bring him.

My mom soon joined us at the dinner table observing the boy that sat directly in front of her.

It was dead silent, everyone was examining each other except Jace. Jace was staring at his phone intently. Soon enough,  Syd broke the silence.

"So, what's for dinner today Mama Scott?"

"Right.. Let me bring it out" my mom said getting up.

Jace looked up from this phone and looked over at Meli "When the fuck we getting out of here?" he said.

I looked at my legs and I looked at Syd. Why even come you asshole. I thought to myself. This boy is really getting ahead of himself

"Be humble. The world doesn't revolve around your time babe" She whispered to him.

He rolled his eyes and went back to his phone. I can't wait till this stupid dinner is over.
I was praying and hoping my mom would hurry back into the dining room. This whole situation was a mess..

Soon enough my mom brought out dinner. Chicken Parmigiana. That's when I knew today was one of those days my mom was really missing Alyssa. This was her favorite meal, I remember the countless times my mom, dad, Alyssa and I would sit at the dining table and enjoy each other's company. I would do anything to have that bonding time back.

Me and Syd were the only ones to engage in a conversation. My mom and Jace were silent.

"Thank you so much Mama Scott. Me and Jace are going to go now." Syd spoke as she hugged me and my mom goodbye. Jace asked to use the bathroom in the midst of our goodbyes.

"See you tomorrow Syd, Get here early" I whispered in her ear when she hugged me.

I walked out to the porch to make sure Syd got in her car safely even though Jace should be coming out soon.

I heard the door open behind me and I assumed he would just walk to his car. But he didn't. He stopped in front of me with curiosity in his eyes. I stood there waiting for the asshole to speak but he didn't say a word.

"Well bye? Why are you just standing here" I said as I  shot him a smug look.

Just like that the curiosity left as quick as it came, and his eyes went cold. Sinister. He turned away from me walking down the porch steps to Syd's car.

"Speak like that to me again and you'll regret it." He shouted back to me.

Frustration filled inside of me but before I could speak he got in the car and pulled off,

What a dick, I thought.