Chapter 3| The Project

Chapter 3
-A few days later-

Tomorrow is going to be my first official day at Calvern University. I spent the past few days getting settled into my apartment. The University had dorms that were connected to the school, but they also own a few apartment complexes that were about a mile away from the school. Unfortunately we couldn't decide our apartment number, they were automatically assigned which is shitty because Ryan and Syd were a floor above my apartment while Jace on the other hand was my neighbor. My fucking neighbor.

I want to keep minimal contact with Jace because my first impression of him is that he's a grumpy asshole.

I grab my keys off of the bar as I walk out the door. I scheduled an appointment with the Headmaster to discuss my schedule. I am driving down the pebblestone road, The most unbalanced road I have ever seen.

There is a sense of fall in the  air, the crunching leaves and gusting winds. The beautiful fall colors coating the trees like a dress.

You should've brought your camera. This scenery is something that could be legendary for my portfolio. I gave myself a mental reminder to take photos of the area before I go to class tomorrow.

There was only a street separating the apartments and the university. As I reach the campus I scan the area for parking. A wide yellow sign read "Pay to park" with a large black arrow under the words.

Perfect. As I drove towards the sign a man stops me right before I reached a parking space. If I just drove off I would've hit him, So I rolled down my window, sticking my head out.

"Is there a problem?" I ask.
"$35 to park maam" He spoke reaching his hand out.

Are you kidding me? $35 for a parking space??. I was expecting $5, $10 at the most. Nevertheless, I pull out my wallet counting out $35.

"Thank you right this way." He said as he pointed his finger to the only parking space left.

After I parked, I got out my car making sure to lock it. I fixed my dress and pulled at my curls.

Calvern University I thought. There were big blue doors in front of me and I knew behind them lead to new opportunities and an unknown world. "Welcome to Calvern University. I am Dramon. Is there anywhere you need directions too?" The stranger peered to me.From the way he was dressed it was obvious he worked here.

"Uh yes, Where is the Headmaster's office?" I said as I looked around the main floor of the school. Students were hustling to get to their classes.Some students were somewhere alongside the walls of the room, all engaged in their own conversations.
"Ah, yes. Take the elevator to the third floor and it will be your second door on the right." he explained.

I followed his directions which led  me staring at the door of the Headmaster's office. There was a gold plate on the door of the office that read "Headmaster Dalvis" . I put my hand on the door knob not knowing if I should knock before entering. I decided to just walk in. This is a school. It's not like I was going to walk in on him doing something illegal.

As soon as I saw who was sitting across from the Headmaster, I cursed myself for not knocking.

"I'm sorry I didn't know you were with another student, I will wait outside" I stammered, not making contact with the boy in the chair inches away from me.

"Your Mya Elise Scott right?" He continued. "Take a seat there is actually something I wanted to discuss with you and Jace here.

Jace let out a sigh of annoyance before rolling his eyes. I didn't mind because I felt the exact same way. What did he need to discuss with me and Jace anyway?

I reluctantly sat in the seat next to Jace. "What is it? I sighed.

"I was going over you guys high school transcripts and I have a proposition. Both of you want to major in Photography here at Calvern, and you have by far the highest scores than anyone majoring in your subject So there's a big project I want you all to consider forming a partnership  on. It will give you major opportunities to drive both of your careers further. I don't expect you to make a decision now but I expect one soon. I have already emailed you the deets of the project." He spoke.

Me work with the stupid asshole sitting next to me? I prefer not too, my life would be a living hell.

"No. I'm not working with this bitch." Jace said slowly. You could tell he was beginning to get angry. But I didn't care. I was not going to let him disrespect me again

"Like I would want to work with a boy that acts like a child when he can't get his way." I uttered just loud enough for him to hear me.

"This isn't the place nor the time for this foolishness. I am going to give you the rest of today to think about it before making a final decision." He raised his voice a bit.

I wanted to say I've already made my final decision but I didn't want him to deem me as a smart ass. He hands me my schedule as I get up. I completely forgot that was my reason for coming here.

I stood outside his office for a second to collect my thoughts. Jace was a real pain in the ass, ALL the time. It makes you wonder what  happened to him for him to behave the way he does.

I walked to the elevator doors and  as I was about to press the down arrow Jace called my name.

"How do you know my name?" I questioned.

"The headmaster said it in the office. Don't get ahead of yourself.. But we're both taking the project, I just read over the details, there is no saying no. Got it?" He had a form of authority in his voice. Like if I told him no, something horrible would happen to me. So I did the logical thing and stayed silent.

He pressed the down button on the elevator, and we waited until the lights dinged to our floor. He tried to put on a confident facade in front of me but you could easily tell he was wondering whether he got his point across.

He must be conversant with being in control.

We both stepped in the elevator. "You don't intimidate me." I bellowed. I don't know who this kid assumed he was, but he didn't petrify me. At least not as much as he thought he did..

His facial expression was full of surprise, but he quickly hid it and returned to being unbothered. When he opened his mouth to speak the elevator opened and the stressed college students of Calvern University rushed in. I quickly exited knowing that I would receive some sort of threat from Jace if I stayed and waited for his response.

As I drove back down the pebblestone road, I wondered what tomorrow will be like. My  first day at college. I was nervous about not being able to find my classes or not making any friends. Stay positive Mya. I pulled up into the parking lot of my complex rushing to my apartment to read the bases of this project.

No matter how much assumed control Jace thought he had over me If i did not want to participate I definitely was not going to.

I dug in my pockets for my keys but when I looked up Ryan was standing in front of my door.

"Ryan, now is really not a good time, I have a lot of work to do. Can I call you later or something?" I begged. Although Ryan was kind, he was persistent when he wanted to see me but now was really not a good time.

"Now is a perfect time. I need to say what I have been wanting to say to you for the past 6 months.

Shit. I thought to myself