Chapter 3 (Sweet Yet Bitter)

Ember's P.O.V

"The belief of the Chosen Ones are considered a branch of Christianity. Basically the legend concludes to people with unnatural abilities with sketchy lives that crave love secretly. When the 'True Loves' unite with their destined lover, they are complete. The cycle is not complete if all Chosen Ones do not fall, which has been said to be the problem."

I cryptically scrolled past the article, reading similar (if not the same) ones that spoke of the unique religion.

"Most Chosen Ones are known to be extremely emotional, yet most have a popular belief that the only way to survive is to become heartless. They bury their feelings, dangerously lashing out if put to the test."

I scrolled to another article again, my fear growing from recognition.

"There are no known members, but the legend speaks of Satan, and his appearance." I instantly logged off the library computer. I cannot die. I literally shoved my family on the front line before I had to take the fall in the past. And I certainly can't fall in love only expected to sacrifice my life for him.

Suddenly, my world became a spinning blur, only to land me smack on a couch, surrounded by others. There was the group I screwed with from the restaurant... with Ethan. And the creepy boy I ran into outside, alongside others I didn't recognize.

"Hello," a blonde woman spoke calmly, putting her hands together, as though welcoming us. Every part of her body screamed average, except she seemed strangely calm. Like she was trying to keep it together. "I'm Carrie, and we're going to bond." Her voice had a creepy edge to it, like at any moment she would snap.

"Who are you?" A blonde snob puffed in the corner. I leaned in, watching Ethan watch me, ready to run at any moment.

"I just told you: I'm Carrie. Let's go over some ground rules. I'm here on behalf of the Spirit." The only thing I was intimidated by was Ethan, and my so-called "destiny". She went around introducing people, Ethan eyeing my every move. "I have to tell you things to expect from the 'Chosen One world'."

"How about we skip the preamble, and, uh-" I chucked a miniature throwing knife into her abdomin. "I run," I insisted, leaping over her gagging, soon-to-be corpse. I felt a sudden urge yank from my stomach, dragging me to sit right back on the navy blue couch. The guy that I ran into earlier was obviously checking me out, the rest cautious like I was a wild animal. They didn't even know the half of it...

"Rule number one," she growled, ripping the dagger gouged in her belly. "I'm a Leader. I guide you alongside the Chosen Animals. The Spirit tells me what to do, and I do it. If you're smart, you'll do the same."

She leaned in on me, handing my weaponry back to me. I grasped it with a tissue, quickly wiping the blood from the surface, dropping it to the floor within seconds. That bitch tried to fry my flesh with her blood. She simply smirked to my knowing.

"Chosen Ones are those chosen by God to defeat the Devil. You've been graciously given a True Love, and without them, you'll fall apart once attached." I glanced at the creepy, attractive boy. Please not him. I'll do anything, God. "There's some things that haven't been said, and they should be made clear. Once you are certain of your True Love, sex does not have to wait until marriage. It is not a sin in God's eye. You feel differently than most: you'll do anything for one another. When you fall in love, you are committed in a way very few humans would understand."

Many people around the room looked totally confused. The boy looked to me, licking his lips in excitement. I gulped down my fear, glancing at the others. A curly redhead sat bewildered, alongside some guy that had an emo-looking girl tied up. This was already tragic, for me.