Chapter 17 (The Burdens We Carry)

Phoebe's P.O.V

Sean finally arrived home from the supermarket with food. I marched my way to the front door, most of Sean's weaponry strapped, holstered, and hidden in my clothing. I was prepared for battle, my training on my planet doing me well for this moment.

"What are you doing?" Sean started in a panic, dropping the groceries in shock onto the floor.

"Suiting up to kill Carrie," I simply stated. He fumbled in a panic to catch a handgun that I tossed to him. "Let's get a move on it."

"Phoebe, I don't know if we're even going to kill Carrie. She's not really our problem. We talked about this."

"She's a common enemy for all Chosen Ones. Being a Chosen One is now my destiny in place of blowing up planet Earth. I'm trained to destroy things."

Sean sighed in disappointment, setting the gun down on its side.

"Being a Chosen One, we're supposed to destroy the Enemies. We're supposed to love our True Love, and follow the Leaders. The Chosen Animals said for us to leave her be. Not everything has to be all blood and gore. Because whether you were trained to kill or not, deep down we all want to do something good."

My shallow mind only comprehended half of what he had said, but it still got to me. My natural instinct was to be a rebel or follow orders. It was up to me to decide which.

Each of us suddenly appeared in an open field, the Chosen Ones/Animals present as well. I instantly pointed a gun at Carrie, watching Micheal and Satan out of my peripheral vision.

The demon and her fiance stopped smacking lips with one another. The Ember girl was tied up again, and the witch was in the big guy's arms, coming back to the land of the living. The redhead Amber High was nowhere in sight. Ethan's wonder trio stood by Micheal.

"Dearest Chosen Ones," Carrie shouted grimley, waving her hands around like a performer. "I have an announcement to make as a former Leader. I'm an Enemy now," she breathed. "Yet, you will all be staying in my house against your will. But before we do so, there is a way out." She flicked her wicked tongue over her teeth in excitement. "Legend has it, if the Glass Unicorn is shattered, the person that destroys it escapes this life."

"That's a lie!" Ember shouted, panic across her face, greedily lying in hope to grasp it herself. Trix threw his hand over her mouth, breathing on her ear like a creep to quiet her. She curled up, whimpering in fear and restraining herself from lashing out.

"Where is it?" I questioned, gun still raised to Carrie. Sean paced to my side, the look of betrayal sustaining his face. "I'm just curious," I excused. "I'm already infected anyhow," I glanced at Sean, stating my loss of an escape.

"Katherine Warren was said to have it," Carrie grinned at the blonde witch. I then aimed my gun towards her.

"Where is it?"

"No way does anyone deserve that escape more than me," she stood defiantly, Ethan's heartbroken expression ignored when she faced her back to him. "He took everything from me. Your's has been kind to you and hasn't even killed you once. I can hardly look at his face without seeing the monster that I've become." Her voice shook, on the verge of having a breakdown.

Satan burst into laughter, making me spin my gun to him.

"How quick you all are to betray your own teammates just to shatter a chunk of glass. I can already see it: you're never going to be able to cooperate with one another. 'That, in reference to your former manner of life, you lay aside the old self, which is being corrupted in accordance with the lust of deceit.' Ephesians, chapter four, verse twenty-two."

Satan smirked triumphantly, proving his point of our vicious responses to wavering faith. So to prove my point, I shot Carrie in the head. She fell down screaming demonically, (even though she should be dead) ripping the bullet with her fingers from her forehead. She turned, a deadly expression on her face, a gaping hole in her head.

"Honestly, I didn't think this would come to any good use," Micheal stated, all heads turning towards him as he held the Glass Unicorn in his hand. "But seeing as you all want it," he grinned, his smile just as haunting as Satan's.

He then disappeared, leaving us with nothing as he could destroy our only chance to a life without the torment of this burden that was supposedly a gift.