Chapter 8

Within minutes, the four imperials had almost caught up.

"Go!" Amaroth screeched, even as his wings sliced through the air. "We'll catch up. Just go - it does not matter which way!"

Not needing to be told twice, I propelled myself away from the humans. Instinctively, I raced across the sky my wings carrying me away from the humans.

The sheer amount of times I'd escaped from the humans was almost overwhelming. So many times! I'd been so foolish, to think that it had all come to an end when the Dragon King had been defeated!

Releasing a frustrated sigh, I stared in front of me, still beating my wings rapidly. The humans had said that dragons would be freed, that we would never have to be worried about the fear of being captured again. And yet, here we were, being chased by the humans.

Would it ever stop? Sure, we were stronger than the humans, but there were so many of them.

At the very least, we should have been the ones chasing. As Amaroth had said earlier, we were the apex predators. Top of the food chain. We should not be scared of anything, we should not have to hide or flee from anything.

And yet here we were, fleeing from something no where near as strong, or powerful as us.

"They've gone," Querra declared, peering over her shoulder.

As though her words were all the reassurance needed, we slowed to a halt. Not quite believing her, I glanced behind us. Surely the humans should still be behind us? After all, it was not as though we had been fleeing for long.

But she was right; the humans had vanished.

Not sure what to believe, I turned towards the four imperials. With a quick glance towards Rutilus, I murmured, "We should leave."

"Just because humans are in the area is no reason to move elsewhere," Amaroth growled, his turquoise gaze fixed on me as though shocked I'd suggest such a thing. "Now we know that they are here, they have lost their advantage over us."

Slowly, I shook my head. "Rutilus and I need to go back to my wing," I explained, silently daring him to stop me. He couldn't have been more wrong if he thought that we'd stay here when our wing still believed that the humans were no longer our enemies. Whether he liked it or not, we were leaving.

Beside me, Rutilus whipped his head towards me, confusion burning in his molten gold gaze. Yet even as I watched, his eyes widened as he quickly realised why I wanted to go back.

A low growl escaped the blue and white drake. With a powerful lash of his tail, he propelled himself above both of us, purposefully looking down on us. Making sure that we knew that he was in total control.

Gritting my teeth, I returned his frosty glare.

We would leave, whether he liked it or not.

The other imperials shifted awkwardly, glancing between us uncertainly.

"Your time here has only just begun, hatchling," Amaroth hissed, and even the stiff beating of his wings sounded like peals of thunder. "There is much still to learn."

"My wing is in danger!" I protested, baring my own fangs at the bigger dragon.

He didn't even blink. Didn't even look the slightest bit concerned. "Your wing will be fine."

How could he be so sure? Frustrated, I lashed my own tail, staring into the sky longingly. Wishing that I could be racing back towards my wing, instead of arguing with a much bigger, and stronger dragon.

"Now come. We should get some rest," Amaroth declared, turning away. Undoubtedly satisfied, thinking he had one.

But I did not so much as move an inch as the big blue and white drake turned away. Beside me, Rutilus hissed in outrage, his eyes dangerously dark.

"Amaroth," another voice, quiet and yet icy cold growled. The black and green dragoness trailed after the blue and white drake, casting a sympathetic glance in Rutilus's and my direction. Understanding our need to warn the rest of our wing. "You can make them stay."

The blue and white drake hissed, and for a split second, I was worried that he'd twist around and snap at the dragoness.

But he didn't.

With a long sigh, his head sagged slightly. "I can't let them leave," He rumbled, and I could have sworn that his voice was hoarser than normal. "They'll die. Just like -"

"Amaroth," Querra interrupted him, more stern this time.

Neither dragon said anything, just staring into the distance. Curious, I glanced between them. Was Amaroth so against us leaving simply because another dragon had previously? In a way, it made sense. Yet if we didn't go, then my entire wing could risk facing death.

"We're going no matter what you say," I warned them quietly, half expecting Amaroth to growl. To try to stop us.

But this time, he remained silent, staring in the distance. His turquoise eyes had darkened ever so slightly - his only reaction.

"I'll go with them," Terraz declared, not at all bothered by how both Querra and Amaroth eyed him. "You've taught me everything, right? I can help them."

I stared at Terraz in shock. Why did he want to come? He could all to easily just stay here, among his own wing. And yet, he was all to willing to follow us - two imperials he barely knew.

"No," Querra growled, her yellow eyes narrowing dangerously.

But the bronze and green drake held her age firmly, not flinching in the slightest. Refusing to back down. He was determined to go, for reasons unbeknownst to me. But the black and green dragoness was just as stubborn.

Amaroth growled, the sound low in the back of his throat. With a frosty voice, he hissed, "fine. Go... But I expect all of you to return in the near future." With a powerful lash of his tail, he continued to glare down at us, letting us know that he was displeased by our decision. No - not just displeased; he was furious.

But at least he seemed to know better than to try to hold us back when our wing was in danger. 

*~*

1063 words

Early this time - it has not yet been a week! And, there will still be another chapter released sometime in the following week too! :D

Please do drop a vote if you enjoyed, and all comments are greatly appreciated. :)