Chapter 9

After several long hours of flight, did we finally slow to a halt.

Exhausted, I glanced around, my gaze landing on Erakor. Perched beside the sea, the city was not hard to find, even if it was still in the distance. Unlike the last time I saw it, smoke seemed to be coiling from the city, into the sky.

But what was more concerning, was that there was no traces of dragons anywhere. Before I'd left, some would almost always be wheeling lazily across the sky, enjoying their freedom. Now, the skies were remote.

Nervously, I glanced across the sky, hoping to spot the distant glitter of scales. Yet no matter how many times I raked my gaze over the sky, forest and mountains, there was no sign of any dragon.

Heart in my throat, I stared at the city ahead of us. Had we come too late? Had my entire wing been captured by the humans? Nervously, I scanned the sky yet again.

Nothing changed.

"They're gone," I growled, my a voice a soft whisper as I tried to comprehend what had happened. Surely there was a chance that the wing had escaped; had moved elsewhere, away from the humans! Maybe they'd figured out the humans were not doing as they had said they were, thus had moved away.

"No. Look," Terraz grunted behind us, staring at something in the distant.

Immediately, I followed his gaze - and my heart lurched with relief. Familiar icy blue scales glittered in the distance. 

Yet, as the ice-coloured dragoness approached, my anxiety quickly returned. Holding my breath, I examined her, and the human on her back. Lord Raffael, and his dragon, Isaella. 

"You're back," the human murmured, pursing his lips even as he examined the dragons around us. "With... him."

The word was spat with such distaste, that I knew that the lord recognised Terraz. Recognised him, and not at all pleased that he was there.

"What is it?" I sighed wearily, knowing that there had to be a reason for Lord Raffael to have ventured to us straight away. "Do you know where my wing is?"

For a split second, the lord froze. Not meeting my eyes, he grunted, "no. They seem to have... disappeared. I was hoping that maybe they'd return now that Erakor is under attack, but clearly, that has not happened."

He didn't know. Had no idea where the rest of my wing was. And while he had been the one to free me, maybe... Maybe that was for the better. Especially if the humans really weren't holding their promise, and were still trying to hunt dragons.

Perhaps it had meant that my wing had already found out!

But... the human had also claimed that his city had been under attack.

"Attacked - by what?" I narrowed my eyes, staring at the city that gleamed in the distance. There was more smoke surrounding it now, perhaps the result of a fire. Yet, I could see no dragons wheeling around it, ready to attack.

Not dragons.

"A neighbouring kingdom," Lord Raffael scowled, his expression darkening as he glanced back at the city. "They... didn't like our decision to release dragons."

Rutilus growled, quietly. Not loud enough for the human to hear, but Isaella stiffened, her own dark blue gaze locked on the red and gold drake.

Did he believe what Lord Raffael was saying - or did he think it was all complete lies? Either way, I knew that he did not completely trust the human whom had freed us - and neither did I.

"What do you want us to do?" I tilted my head slowly, wondering what the lord was after. There had to be something he wanted; there was no other reason as to why he would rush to us the moment he saw us.

A small shrug. "Nothing. Or at least, not until you've found your wing."

Almost immediately, a hiss escaped the red imperial behind me even as his gaze shot to mine. Silently warning me not to agree to whatever the lord had in mind. To not trust him.

But... he was Lord Raffael; the human whom had freed us to begin with. And we could not simply forget that while he was loyal to the queen, he also had a dragon side by side, whom he'd assured us had as much control as he did.

"And then?" I questioned, continuing to watch the human.

"We'll see. Perhaps you shall help me save my city. Or if its too late, maybe venture to nearby cities and warn them of incoming attack. Or," the lord paused, malice glittering in his normally clear blue eyes.

I blinked, shocked by the sudden rage in his expression. Never had I seen him so vengeful.

A humourless smile tugged at his lips. "Or, we can send you to destroy one of their cities. Our revenge - but also yours. You still yearn to destroy human cities. To actually burn them to the ground, whilst freeing the dragons there."

It was tempting. Free more dragons. Demolish a city - something I knew that many dragons in my wing yearned for; proper revenge.

But at the same time, it was dangerous. There would undoubtedly be casualties - not to mention that even if we did go, we'd have to leave Kronx behind. Never again would we do that. Without his ability to fly, he was unable to flee, to move away from the humans or any incoming threat.

Several long moments passed. Lord Raffael scratched the back of his head impatiently. Wanting us to hurry up. Help him save his city, or have his revenge.

I hesitated, torn. Wanting to destroy the city and free more dragons, yet not wanting more dragons in my wing to be killed or-

"No," Rutilus snarl jolted me out of my thoughts. Anger blazed in his golden eyes as he glared down at the human.

Lord Raffael flinched, his eyes wide. Isaella tensed further beneath him, lashing her icy blue tail even as she bared her fangs towards the red and gold drake. A silent warning.

Anxiously, I watched as the red imperial continued to glare at the human. Even if Lord Raffael had friendly intentions, the ice-coloured dragoness would be anything but if he did not calm down.

Moments passed. Rutilus continued to glare at the human. Even Terraz twitched uncomfortably, his green eyes darting between both dragons. Silently wondering if he should interfere, or if he should remain silent, barely part of the conversation.

But the red and gold drake finally tore his gaze away, quieting down. Not happy with the situation, but at least no longer posing as a threat towards Lord Raffael and Isaella.

"We'll find our wing," I declared, breaking the silence. "Once we'll find them, we'll discuss what we'll do. But be warned - I doubt that we'll be attacking anyone any time soon."

Not waiting to let the lord respond, I quickly dived down. Wind roared in my ears as I rocketed down further and further, yet I payed it no heed as I glanced across the mountain range.

"Over here," Terraz called, flicking his tail towards the mountain range. "If they're anywhere around here, they'll be there... Querra always said that mountains were dotted with caves - some easily big enough to house several dragons."

My heart clenched as I stared at the mountains. So close! Soon, I'd be reunited with my wing. With Thorak, and Soriak. Kronx!

I'd see them again. Soon.

*~*

1290 words

Sorry this chapter is late! School has been busier than I expected, and of course, that must take priority. However, on the bright side, I've almost finished planning most of the details in this book! 

Before I finish planning, are there any particular characters you want to see more of? Please let me know!