Chapter 28

The cave was quiet when I awoke. If I strained my ears, I could hear the faint murmur of a few dragons talking to each other. Occasionally, muffled wingbeats echoed through the cavern. But that was it.

My gaze swept across the cave, landing on the empty spot where Reida normally slept, and I felt a pang of loneliness. She truly was sleeping in another cave, separated away from me. Leaving me among the city's favoured dragons and yet, on my own. No dragon here wanted anything to do with me.

Scales prickling, I steadily stood up, slowly unfurling my wings. There was no point staying in the cavern. Chances were, dawn would be swiftly arriving - and after yesterday, it was probably a good idea to not be late.

Even if Lord Carlos confronted me about Reida's near escape attempt.

Leaping into the air, I glided down towards the cavern's exit. Within moments, the cool morning breeze brushed against my scales as I soared through the still dark sky above the city.

"You're up early," an almost guttural voice rasped even as a dark green drake pulled up beside me. Searing yellow eyes glared at me, and I tensed. "You stopped Reida from escaping yesterday. Why?"

Suddenly uneasy, I glanced down at the city. Why did he want to know? Had the humans sent him to question me? Warily, I grunted, "she would never have escaped. The humans would have punished her; tortured her."

A strange expression flickered across his face. His eyes narrowed, and his head tilted slightly - but still noticeably. "She will still be punished," he declared at last, flicking his tail lightly. "Although she wouldn't have been tortured - even if you hadn't stopped her."

Not tortured. I'd heard several times that that was the case, but for a city swarming with dragons, it was too good to be true. Even if most of them were content living among the humans.

But Thanatos had also agreed that Reida would be punished. If she wasn't going to be tortured... then how? What punishments did they use here?

The dark green dragon chuckled when I voiced my questions aloud, the sound hoarse and gravelly. His yellow eyes narrowed at me, gleaming almost tauntingly as he declared, "you'll have to ask her next time you see her."

Clenching my jaws shut, I glared at the dark green drake for a few long moments. He knew what my friend's punishment would be. He had to! Although of course he wouldn't tell me it himself. I'd been a fool for asking, especially if he had been sent up here by the humans.

Without another word, I wheeled away Thanatos, circling lazily in the sky before climbing higher into the air. High enough that the dark sky almost engulfed me, and twinkling stars glittered around me. High enough that the city below me almost looked like a star as well, all the street lights clumped together in the darkness.

"Not a fan of the city?" a voice questioned behind me, and I resisted the urge to sigh when I glimpsed the dark green drake trailing after me, his scales taking on a greyish hue in the moonlight.

"I'd rather be free," I stated simply, not bothering to lie. The humans would surely expect such an answer as well, should the dark grey drake relay my answers to them.

"Free," he repeated, his yellow eyes bright with an emotion I could not decipher. Yearning? Annoyance? Disdain? His head tilted slightly as he slowed down, almost staring ahead at me contemplatively.

Not that it mattered.

Snorting, I sped up, eager to be free of his presence. It was still all to easy to imagine him pursuing me, his fangs bared at me as his thunderous snarl deafened anyone nearby.

This time, at least, he didn't pursue me - leaving me to roam the skies. The lightening skies; in the distance, a faint glow lightened the eastern horizon, drowning out the light of the nearby stars. Not long until dawn.

Clamping my wings against my flank, I plunged towards the city. Wind roared past my ears, sweeping past my wings as I hurtled towards the rapidly approaching ground. Crying out joyously, I folded my wings even tighter, attempting to speed up even more. Speed up, race across the skies as though I was still free.

Only when I was level with the city's tallest tower did I snap my wings open, catching the breeze.

My momentum carried me past the city before I finally decided to slow down. I continued to veer downwards as I circled back towards Azarin - although much slower than before. The roaring wind had reduced to a faint current of air, allowing me to listen to the waking humans talk to each other or walk down the streets, getting ready for the day.

Within moments, I spotted the square I usually met Lord Carlos. Three familiar human silhouettes stood off to the side, and my heart dropped. The queen, Lord Carlos and Lord Raffael were all there, waiting for me. At least none of them had noticed me yet; both brother appeared to be bickering as the queen stared solemnly down the streets, her dark brow pinched in a frown.

"I don't need to, it's fine," I heard Lord Carlos hiss, trying and failing to retain a calm composure. His face darkened, and I couldn't help but notice the way his shoulders had tensed, and his hands had clenched.

Lord Raffael laughed hoarsely. "But you do. The moment she realises you don't understand her -" He cut off abruptly, and I could have sworn that his skin paled when he saw me.

My curiosity piqued. Had they been referring to me? If so, that meant... Lord Carlos couldn't understand me - or any dragon. Stunned, I faltered, transferring my gaze towards my supposed rider.

All this time, I'd presumed that he understood me and had merely been choosing to ignore me. But he hadn't understood me.

"Argentum," the queen's commanding voice jerked my attention towards her. "On time, as usual - or so Carlos leads me believe." She gestured towards him, her heavily decorated green dress rustling with the movement.

I landed carefully in front of her, eyeing the queen warily. What did she want? Why was she here? Did she want to confront me about Reida herself? If that was the case, why send Thanatos?

As though noticing my tension, she threw her head back slightly and laughed. "Oh, don't worry, your not in trouble! Quite the opposite, really," her smile slipped away, leaving her face almost expressionless as she gazed at me. "I hear that you stopped your friend from escaping yesterday. As much as I doubt that your loyalty to this place is the reason you did so, any good behaviour shall be rewarded."

Why was she telling me this? Was she subtly hinting that she knew my plan? "Thank you," I stated stiffly, unsure what else to stay.

The queen's lips twitched into a faint smile. "First, we have a few things to settle... and then Carlos will take you out hunting."

*~*

1186 words

Sorry for the late update! Between school and travel, I've had little time to write. However, I am back home now, and as it is now holidays, updates should not be much more frequent!

Please do drop a vote or leave a comment (or both) if you enjoyed! :D

Thank you!