Chapter 17

Rain bucketed from the skies, turning the dirt beneath me into mud. Cold water trickled down from my scales, yet I could not bring myself to care as I stared blankly at the metal ring lodged onto my tail.

I knew what the ring was. It controlled dragons in flight; helped us obey the humans. The last time I'd worn one had been a year ago – and to be wearing one again only seemed to confirm the fact that I was no longer free.

Up until they'd put the tail-fin-ring on, I'd hoped that maybe, with a little bit of rest, I'd be able to escape. But now, such an idea seemed impossible. There was no way I would be able to escape without destroying my tail-fin-ring. And, the only way I could do that, was melt it with my fire.

My talons dug further into the mud. Soon, I'd have no fire, either. The only reason I still did have it was likely because of the onslaught of rain that had made the humans hastily set up a camp rather than focus too much on me.

"Don't worry about the tail-fin-ring," the maroon dragoness suddenly declared, noticing my dismay. "The only reason you have it on is so they can make sure that you get to the city. Once you are there, they'll take it off."

I scoffed. Humans choosing to remove a tail-fin-ring from a dragon that longed to be free? The only way they could even try such a thing was if they knew that there was no way a dragon would be able to escape.

If they had it on me now... did that mean that I could escape now? If I melted my tail-fin-ring when the rain eased, would I gain a chance?

No. More than a chance. It would take the humans a few minutes to even start chasing me and in that time, I could put plenty of distance between us. And, since I no longer had to worry about other dragons being captured, surely I'd be able to escape! Especially since I was not as weary as I had been; I had since gained a few hours of sleep.

And, would I have more of a chance, if there were multiple dragons escaping? If I could convince the maroon dragoness to let me escape, and perhaps even join me during the process, surely that would make it harder for the humans!

Suddenly hopeful, I peered at the maroon dragon beside me. "You hatched in captivity, right?" For that was the only reason why she would be willing to capture another dragon. To wound another dragon.

Slowly, as though suspicious, she dipped her head.

Tilting my head slightly, I held her gaze. If I could just persuade her to help! "Have you ever wandered what it was like to be free?"

"I am freer than you ever were," the dragoness murmured, raising her head to glance to stare into the sky. "Were you really able to fly wherever you wanted? Hunt whenever you started to get hungry? Or did you have to wait until your wing leader allowed you – when he deemed it was safe? Humans might ride on my back, but they were constantly at your tails."

"It's not like that!" I objected hastily, unsure whether it was my desperation to have her help me escape, or merely my loyalty to Kronx and the rest of my wing.

"Isn't it?" The maroon dragoness challenged, and I couldn't help but cringe away from her. "You weren't living in fear? You never had to worry about humans?"

I couldn't deny her words.

Aghast, I stared at her. How could I convince her to help me? Clearly, she had no intentions of getting away from the humans – and I doubted that I could change that. Would she at least allow me to fly off, and not pursue me if I did?

Either way, her words echoed in my mind. She was right. We'd always been wary of the humans – and numerous times, the entire wing had to flee. Was living in fear really so similar to living in captivity?

"They're coming back," the maroon dragoness suddenly declared, steadily climbing to her feet. "Time to go."

Moments later, the humans started shouting, drawing my attention towards them. Most had been huddled under a large white tent that billowed with the breeze, yet several ran out into the rain. Their faces were turned towards the eastern sky, and I curiously followed their gaze.

Within seconds, I stiffened. More dragons were flying towards us – all with humans on their backs. My gaze landed on the familiar copper dragoness in the midst of them. Her red eyes were blazing with anger, and I watched her snap the human on her back furiously before shifting her attention towards us.

Within seconds, she faltered, barely able to keep herself aloft.

"Argentum?" she breathed tentatively, as though hoping that I wasn't here.

I could barely hold her gaze. Another dragon in my wing had been captured! And, not just any dragon – but Reida; the dragoness whom Kronx had sent to warn the rest of the wing. Did that mean that the rest of the wing remained oblivious to the human's presence? How many more would be captured?

"You're Argentum?" the maroon dragoness whipped her head towards me, studying me with renewed curiosity. "The humans have been talking about you for months! They said that you escaped from captivity, yet still saved helped one of their cities. Why?"

But I did not pay her any heed; instead I focused on the incoming humans – and Reida. Would both of us be able to escape the humans? Maybe if –

Suddenly, something brushed against my flank. Whipping my head to the side, I saw a human trying to heft a saddle on top of my back. Two other humans quickly helped him, and I knew it would take only a few minutes for them to put it on.

Flaring my wings, I edged away from the humans. Last time they'd come near me, they'd put the tail-fin-ring on me – taking away my ability to control where I flew. Now, they were going to put a saddle on, which would make it even harder for me to resist them.

This could be my last opportunity to escape.

Smoke coiled from my jaws, as I stared at them. How easy it would be to incinerate them with my fire, and then melt my tail-fin-ring! But the maroon dragoness was still watching me, making sure I didn't try to get away.

And I couldn't simply ignore the dragons already in the sky.

Even if I were to succeed to get into the air, they would quickly be able to re-capture me. Surely they would punish me! Starve me for the whole journey, perhaps even blind me. No. I couldn't escape. Not yet.

I would have to wait until another opportunity arose – if one even did. Perhaps then, Reida would be able to escape with me.

Clenching my jaws shut, I glared at the man who climbed onto my back, tightly gripping the chains that the other humans looped around my neck.

"Good dragon," the man murmured, loosening his grip on the chain as he brushed his hand down my back. "We've got a long flight ahead. A whole day, you know! But it should be worth it, I think. Lord Carlos says that we're headed to Azarin – the city of dragons!"

He seemed excited, oblivious to my tail sweeping back and forth uneasily. The humans had a city full of dragons. How did we not know of this? Worse still, how many dragons resided there, forced to do the human's bidding?

*~*

1276 words

I hope you enjoyed! If you did, please do drop a vote and/or comment your thoughts! 

What do you think is going to happen next? What do you think the 'city of dragons' will be like? 

Next chapter should be out next Monday. By the end of next week, I should be able to do daily updates! :D