Chapter 15

More humans were coming? My stomach churned as I pondered the dragon's words. I'd known the humans would come searching for us - but to have found us so early in the day? How had they known where we were?

"Get away!" the turquoise dragoness repeated, her rumbling voice laced with frustration and pain as she struggled against her rider's control. "Quickly!"

Automatically, I started backing away. She was right. If we moved now, and moved quickly, we'd remain free. But we could not move as fast as was required, not without leaving Kronx behind.

My gaze transferred towards the dark blue drake whom had taught Rutilus and I so much across the last year. The sheer amount of times he'd helped us, and expected so little in return!

No. There was no way I would leave him here. Especially not to the hands of power-hungry humans with their harsh commands and cruel punishments.

We had to stay together. Fight the humans as they came. Release the dragons that they rode. Surely that would help us hold out until Reida returned with help!

A distant roar echoed in the distance. Instinctively, I whipped my head towards the source of the noise only to see the dark shape of a dragon resemble us. No. More than one dragon.

Several dragons. There had to be at least five!

Dread knotted my stomach.

The turquoise dragon hissed again - in pain. The human on her back jerked her chains harshly, and was eyeing me like how a wolf might watch a sheep. Like I was prey. Growling loudly, my eyes narrowed.

A dragon was never prey.

Without a second thought, I lunged towards the human. For a split second, the human faltered. The blood drained from his face, and I could have sworn that his hands were trembling as I snapped my fangs in his directions.

But before I could marvel his sudden fear, his expression hardened. His eyebrows furrowed over his and mouth clamped shut. Yet the human seemed to have expected such; he'd merely tugged the turquoise dragoness's chains, forcing her to twist around and face me.

From the corner of my eye, I spotted the humans rapidly approaching. It would only be a matter of minutes before they reached us.

Not daring to waste another moment, I rushed forwards, easily ducking beneath the turquoise dragon. My gaze locked onto the tail fin ring.

While the human was in control, the turquoise dragoness would not be able to help us fight off the other dragons. But if she had even the slightest bit more control...

The thought trailed off as I darted towards her tail. Fire spewed from my jaws as I streaked past. Slowing down, I wheeled around - not caring that the human was shouting furious commands, or had realised what I was doing.

Instead, my attention was solely on the metal ring that was clamped around the turquoise dragon's tail fin. With a heavy beat of my wings, I readied myself to thrust forwards again, ready to bathe the metal under another wave of intense heat.

But before I could, Rutilus darted in front of me, snapping at the tail-fin-ring desperately. Moments later, Terraz started circling the turquoise dragoness, lashing his tail towards the human on her back.

Suddenly, the turquoise dragoness yelped in pain. My gaze automatically shifted towards the human on her back, presuming that he'd punished her somehow. But there was no smug smile on his face. His knuckles were red from squeezing the chain tightly, and his face suddenly very pale. He wasn't causing the dragoness's pain.