Chapter 4: The Spirits

Once the day had ended, the two of us headed back to the edge of the forest, however, leaving today would be sadder than previous days.
"Um, Y/N." I asked quietly.
"Hm?" Y/N responded.
"I won't be able to come here tomorrow." I said slowly, slight sadness being heard in my voice. "I told you about it before, right? That I'm staying at my uncle's place for the summer? So I have to go home tomorrow." Y/N hummed when I finished, and I looked down at the ground. She then stopped walking and turned to me.
"Will you be able to come again next year?" She asks me. I spot walking as well and look up at her.
"Yeah!" I smile and nod.

This is how summer became something I looked forward to. As the year passed, Y/N waited for our promised summer.

I took off my boots, placing my bare feet in the lake.
"It's cold!" I laugh, splashing my feet around as I sat on the side by the water, with Y/N sitting next to me.
"You're weird." Y/N said. "Of course the water is cold."
Through the day, we walked through the forest again. During this time, we encountered another spirit. A giant branch-like arm comes out from the leaves of the tree, grabbing onto Y/N.
"Y/N!" I called out to her, worried that she might get hurt.
"It's dangerous Y/N." It spoke. "That's a Hylian child. If he touches you, you'll disappear."
"Thank you. I'm fine." She answered it. The tree-arm then let go of her, pulling itself slowly back into the tree from where it came.
"Please don't touch her, Hylian child." It said once more before hiding itself in the leaves. I stayed silent for a moment, still trying to process what just happened.
"I won't." I finally replied. Y/N started to walk again, and I walked after her. I could hear small voices calling out her name. I looked into the forest, seeing some umbrella-like spirits appearing near us.
"Y/N. Be careful." They repeated. I looked in slight awe before focusing back ahead of me.
'The spirits can touch her, right?' I thought.