Chapter 6: Through the Ages

The next summer and the summer after that, I visited the forest.

I had gotten dressed in my new green outfit. While I was away for the remaining three seasons, I was training at Hyrule. My uncle was a well-respected swordsman when he was younger, so he had taught me how to fight. I had gotten my own sword by the age of 12, about a year ago, but I couldn't show it to Y/N because I had gotten it right after summer had ended. I couldn't wait to show Y/N! I put on my boots headed outside, my sword and shield strapped to my back.
"I'm leaving!" I waved to my uncle as I ran into the woods. I headed to our usual spot where Y/N and I always met up.
"Y/N! I'm here again this year." I called out to her. Several moments later, Y/N had arrived at the spot. I smiled.
"So, what do you think?" I asked, motioning to my outfit as I took out my new sword and shield. "I learned how to fight now, so I can protect you from any dangers if you are ever in trouble." I stated, waiting to hear her reaction.
"Somehow, you're starting to look more like an adult." Y/N said, making me pout.
"I am an adult..." I mumble.
"Shall we go?" Y/N turned around and started walking into the woods.

"Yeah." I nodded and followed her. As the years progressed, I grew taller. Compared to her now, I was only a few inches shorter.

Huh? This is...

"Oh." I said as we walked, which got Y/N's attention.
"Huh?" She looked at me. I shake my head.
"Nothing. Even though I'm officially a swordsman now, I still have a lot of my old friends, so it doesn't feel like anything changed. But rather than that..." I tell her as I walk ahead.

Our ages are gradually getting closer.

I show Y/N how strong I have become by swinging my sword at some fairly large rocks, breaking them after a couple swings. I would've normally done it on trees or bushes, but I didn't want Y/N, nor any other spirits, to get mad at me for harming the forest.

Somehow, Y/N ages much slower than Hylians.

"Right here?" Y/N asks, hanging a target on a rock. I nod.
"Yes, now step back and watch." I state, pulling back my slingshot and aiming at the target. Y/N steps to the side, sitting down on the grass and watches. I let the slingshot go, launching the seed at the target, which hits the center and destroys it. I grinned, looking at Y/N.
"Did you see that?" She nods, clapping as the seed hit the target.
"Good job." She said.

As the years go by, my appearance changes, but Y/N is almost the same as the day we met.

It's around sunset and we're heading back to the edge of the forest. As we walk for a while, Y/N eventually stops. I stop as well and turn around to her. There was a butterfly sitting on the nose of her mask. Y/N gently lifts the mask off her face, which made the butterfly fly over her head instead. I watched as several more butterflies flew around her, feeling my cheeks warming up. Y/N closed her eyes, holding her head upward as if she was listening to the forest, her H/L hair flowing in the gentle breeze.

Someday I'll be older than Y/N, won't I?