Chapter 5: The Promise of Tears

Two summers passed. Then three.

"Link!" I heard Y/N walk around the forest, calling for me. "Where are you? Link. Li-" I quickly leaned down from a tree branch right in front of Y/N, wearing a mask that I had gotten while back at my home, startling her.
"What're you doing?" She asked. I sat up on the branch, looking down at her, giggling a bit.
"I wanted to see your startled face, but..." I remembered that she had her mask on and then the moment became somewhat awkward. "At least when I'm around, can you take off your mask every once in a while?" I asked.
"That's fine." Y/N responded, grabbing the edge of her mask to take it off. "But is there a reason?"
"Not really, but-" I stopped when I heard the tree branch that I was sitting on crack before breaking, which caused me to fall off of it. Y/N gasped slightly, running over to me and holding her arms out as if to catch me.
"Watch out, Lin-" My eyes widened a bit, and I wanted to tell her to not do it! She quickly stopped right as I landed in the bushes.
"That was close." Y/N said.
"Yeah..." I leaned back on the bush, looking upside down at Y/N. The fall didn't hurt very much, but I was still not expecting it to happen. She took a small step back.
"I'm sorry, Link. Are you okay?" I mumbled 'yes' and slowly fell down from the bush onto the forest floor.
"Thank goodness." I sat up on my knees, looking up at Y/N.
"Huh?" Y/N tilted her head slightly.
"Hey, Y/N." Y/N walked up to me, kneeling down to my height. I give her a smile. "No matter what, don't ever touch me, okay?" Y/N doesn't respond. She only looks at me, yet I couldn't tell what her expression was.
"Okay?" I added, feeling tears sting my eyes. I felt myself begin to cry a bit, but I was unsure why. I rubbed my eyes, trying to dry the tears because I didn't want Y/N to think that I was weak and helpless. Y/N just stayed there motionless, just watching me as I cried.
"No matter what!" I say, tears now running down my cheeks.