Curiosity Killed the Cat

Writers Notes

This is the first book from my series that I’m going to call. Dark Secretes and Forbidden Love. And I want to Thank HaleyyElizabeth for editing my work. 

Prologue

 Every town, or city, has one; the house either on top of a hill, or the last house on a dead end street. The one that seems to be falling apart, but no one will dare to knock down. It seems to usually always have cracked or boarded up windows, broke stairs that lead up to a porch creaking with each step, and maybe even a shadow or two that makes you believe it’s haunted.

Well, that’s the house next door to mine. It has gray siding with an old grey roof that looks to be missing a few shingles. Ever since I was little, it was always abandoned and vacant. The key word here was.

It’s almost a week until my perfectly boring summer of surfing the internet and hanging with my best friend was over; and finally something exciting happens!

Chapter One-Haley’s POV

“Haley, get away from the window!” my mom yelled for the tenth time today, “You’re going to freak out the new neighbor.”

“But, Mom,” I whined as I moved away, “I still can’t believe that someone is moving into that old house.”

“What’s wrong with that house?” she asked me, but I already knew she was fully aware of the answer; being that she used to call the house the ‘crack-house-next-door.’

I rolled my eyes at her, “Mom.”

“If you really want to meet the neighbor that bad you can take over the cookies when they’re done.”

“Yes!” I ran giving her a hug, “Thank you.”

She laughed at me as she sighed, “What am I going to do with you?”

“Love me. Care for me,” I looked up at her with the sweetest look I could muster. She shook her head at me as she walked into the kitchen. Seconds after she was out of sight, I turned back towards the window, and that’s when I got my first look at my new neighbor.

“Wow.”

Out of the house walked a young looking man, who couldn’t be much older than twenty one years old. He had dark brown curly hair, which fell messily around his face, almost hiding his brown eyes that seemed almost gold in the sunlight. I could feel my mouth fall as I looked at him, which only let to my embarrassment when he happened to look my way waving. Quickly, I shut my mouth, trying my best to put on a smile and wave back, but I couldn’t ignore how warm my face had become.

The man laughed before turning back towards the company movers that were carrying a sofa into the house.

“Crap,” I moaned as I sunk down onto the floor.

“Haley, the cookies are done,” my mom called from the kitchen.

“Double crap.”I pushed myself reluctantly from the floor, slumping my way into the kitchen.

 “What happened? You were excited two seconds ago,” my mom questioned.

“The neighbor saw me watching through the window.”

My mom groaned turning to me with a tray of cookies in her hands, “Well, now you have to take these over and apologize to the poor man.”

I reached out grabbing the tray out of my mom’s hands, “Fine.” I took a deep breath before heading out the kitchen towards the door.

“Where do you want this one, sir?” I could hear one of the movers ask the man.

The man responded, “That one goes upstairs into the master bedroom.” I cursed myself, for his voice sounded as heavenly as he looked.