XIV.

"Where are we going?"

"You know I was a pizza guy before all this-" He avoided my question. "A pizza guy, Can you believe that? "One of the smartest men in world history" Door to door delivering off brand Pizza Hut for a quick buck. ~Granted I was on the run from some military business. You know, cause of the green guy and all. But imagine that. A job so beneath me being the only reason I sit beside you now. Took a long look back to realize that though. To realize how subtle that one lucky break could be."

He sighed." And then I found that it wasn't my successes that brought me here, my strengths, my "intelligence". But my short comings that really did it all for me. When I found myself sending a bullet to search the back of my head for the answers, I learned that the real trigger I needed to be pulling- was the one that separated the big guy and I from barrel and bullet. When I found my college sweetheart dating a man who had taken my office and was purposely withholding information to what could have possibly freed me from this...broccoli colored curse, I was graciously guided to a window of good faith and future successes. And now, losing someone who had in such a short time given me and all the people I value what I could only call the true meaning of love and genuine growth; I find aaaaa shit ton of space junk that could quite possible let us know where she may be." He finished quickly as we pulled into his lab.

Taken away with disbelief, my eyes widened. "What the- God damn it, Bruce! Why didn't you tell me about this earlier??" I gasped.

He snorted. "Hey, I had to make sure it was safe. Not everybody has a big green 8 foot tall psychopath ready to whoop ass if things go south."

I smiled giddishly. "Jesus, Bruce! I could kiss you right now!"

He smiled. "Hey, please don't."

I turned my head and started towards the lab equipment. "So what are we gonna do now?"

Putting his lab coat on, he followed behind me. "Well first we test the equal functions of the devices provided here. Since this is all left from the battle of New York, including the scraps of the machine used for the dimensional portal; we need to separate the "weapon" from the "accessory" and most importantly the "portal" from the "power core". Secondly we have to carefully put the pieces together bit by bit and hope that that purple glowy thing over there doesn't make the green glowy thing over here blow up and kill us all."

"I thought you checked to see if it was safe?"

"From radiation, yes. A painful firey death, no."

"Ah. So wait, does Fury know about this?"

"Hell no." He guffawed.

"What? Why?"

"You know he'd shut us down if he knew we were doing this. And even if he did give us the O.K. to think about going through with the idea, It would take months before we could get proper authorization to get this officially in production. We don't have that kind of time and I don't have that kind of patience."

I nodded. "You're right, unfortunately."

"So how long do you think this might take?"

"The longest? A month maybe."

"A month?"

"It's all we got. Come, hand me that... green thing over there."

"Er.... Which one?"

He shrugged. "Any one."

Grabbing the green orb from the counter beside me, I spoke with slight confusion. "Excuse me for asking but, why are you doing all this?"

"Because she means a lot to me and most of all she means even more to you. Love is sickening, debilitating; and sometimes damn near parasitic. But, at least she's sweet about it. "

I smiled warmly. "Thanks, Bruce."

"Yeah." He exhaled. "Let's just hope we don't lose our jobs."

PoeticMindsEye.