XXV.

~ (Y/N) ~

His eyes sour with blistering hate, he foamed with riotous anger. From across the room I could see it. The veins swelling with lucid rage now gradually turning green as he growled. "Get away from her!"

"Bruce. Okay. Look at me. Before we do anything-"

"Get away!" He roared, his mutation beginning to unfold as he prepared to lunge.

"I really think we should talk. Just calm ~ Calm - No! No! No! Bruce!"

As if possessed by a rabid animal he dashed for Loki's direction. Barreling towards him, quick and overwhelming like an avalanche as he approached with sporadic and violent motion. He probably would have ripped his head off if I hadn't came between them in the nick of time. Casting a shield of energy around us as I attempted to console him.

"Hey, Hey, Bruce. Look at me. Look. At. Me. No, no, no don't look at him. Look at-"

But he only roared louder. Screeching almost as the field burned against his green skin. It was almost torture to watch. Like seeing a feral animal tear at the lock of a gate, determined to get through even as it's fur caught and tore at the nooks of the device. It killed me to see him like this, but it'd kill Loki if the shield wasn't here to stop him.

I spoke as gingerly as I could. "Bruce, please calm down. Just listen to me."

"How did the beast even get here?!" Loki griped fearfully.

I turned to him, my face covered in sorrow and frustration. "He's not a beast. He's just angry and confused."

"Look!" I addressed him again. "It's me, Munchkin. ~ You can see me can't you?"

But he didn't respond. He just continued to punch and claw at the scalp of the shield as his skin went raw from the heat of its surface.

"You're just hurting yourself!" I howled. "Please ~ Look. I'm safe." I forced a smile. "I'm safe and you wanna know why? Because of Loki."

"Lies!" He hollered.

"No! No. No lies. I promise. If it were a lie, he wouldn't be in here and you wouldn't be out there."

"No!"

"Bruce." I sighed. "Bear, listen to me." I spoke softly. "The sun's getting real low."

"Stop!" He screeched.

"Everything will make sense once you talk to me." I gave my hand. "But you have to meet me half way."

Putting his hand at the back of my shoulder, Loki moved to stop me; but I gave a small gesture to wait.

"Please? Meet me half way." I repeated gently.

Tenderly I put my hand in his, the flesh of his palm pressing hot against the back of my hand. I could see the exposed meat of his knuckles as his fingers curled around my forearm. Deep gashes dug into the mid of the digits far enough to practically show bone. It made what I was about to do all the more easier to achieve without guilt.

"Look at me, Bear." I whispered. "I'm sorry."

His skin in contact with mine, I used this moment of weakness to invasively access his neurotransmitters. Like the pull of a few levers I released a large gathering of endorphins in the opiate receptors of his brain, creating a temporary sensation similar to a debilitating dose of morphine. Ensuring his composure and slumber.