Chapter eleven

Rendroktheils plan, I believe was the stupidest thing ever. Gather all dragons in one place and asking them to join arms should the queen declare war.

Every dragon began to shout obscenities. I stand cowering behind Rendroktheil, praying that none of the dragons see fit to challenge him and leave me defenseless.

"Silence!" Rendroktheil booms. I cower back covering my ears. Why does he feel the need to be so loud while I stand right below him?

"Brothers! The blood queen will hunt our kind even after my death or Alys' do not take up your quarrels with me. Take them up with her! Alys may be our key to avoiding a war that will bring more harm than good. With Alys on the throne we will see the skies again, without fear of death."

"How can we trust she keep her word?!" One dragon roars from the skies. I step up to Rendroktheils knee tapping him. Rendroktheil cranes his neck down towards me. "May I speak to them? Perhaps my own promise will be better than your words." Rendroktheil nods. Turning his attention back to the dragon crowd.

"Listen! Alys wishes to speak!" Rendroktheil steps to the side, using his tail to guide me towards the front of the rock outcrop he has chosen to make his podium.

"Dragons! I understand you do not trust me, I do not blame you. I am the daughter of a man that thought dragons were tyrants to his kingdom. He did not understand that he himself was a tyrant and that he had taught Ysme to be the same. Ysme has chosen to follow in my fathers footsteps, taking his actions much farther because she is a megalomaniac. For this she has put a prize on my head and your kings. She can offer me nothing but a place at the gallows of the chopping block.

"Hear me promise you-" "we don't want your promises!" "Bastard heir" "Get her!" I stumble backwards in fright as several dragons fall from their cluster in the air. "Enough! Stop!" Rendroktheil shouts uselessly. I fall to the ground to avoid talons and jaws alike. I curl up, covering my eyes. Hard air stirs my hair wiping it into my face before talons click on stone close to my face.

"Enough!" One shrieks. "The blood queens sister and the king have made a deal! We must honor that deal, you can not riot over a human girl simply because you can not trust a human promise! They have sworn their promise. It is unbreakable. Take your quarrel with the enemy! Ysme pendragon has mobilized troops of war. She summons the heir of dragons to speak before she declares her war on us!" Opaskai continues. I pry my eyes open to see the cloud dragon beside my body, one wing draped across the stone over me, protecting me.

He turns to me upon silencing the crowd. "You will have your war Alys. Do not break a dragons word." He seethes before taking to the skies again. Many dragons scatter too, a few land to bow and apologize for their hasty decision in lack of trust. I simply point out I am the daughter of a man who has hunted them for years and lack of trust is not something easily changed.

"So, we will have a war against Ysme." Rendroktheil mutters as the last dragon takes to the skies. "Not yet Rendroktheil, first I must chat with a dear sister of mine." I answer sitting down against his flank. He laughs. "Yes, a chat that will likely have you dead or wounded. You must be careful." Rendroktheil points out. "Yes I must. But my sister is not the threat I should fear. It is her will to have something done."