Chapter 13 - Want a ride?

“I’m sorry, I need to go.” I said, stepping back away from him. “They’re expecting me today.”

“Oh, okay. No problem!” he said, with a trace of disappointment from his eyes.

I grabbed my bag from his hand and gestured to go. “Do you want me to give you a ride?” he asked.

“No. It’s fine. I rented a car. I’ll be okay!” I said.

“I insist.”

“No. Please. It’s alright! I can handle it.”

“Okay, then.”

I showed a smile and walk my way towards the exit. I looked back to see If he’s looking at me, and he is! So, I just waved goodbye.

“Where’s the car I rented?” I said to my assistant on the phone as my car hasn’t arrived yet after waiting for fifteen minutes outside the departure lounge.

“The company called just a few moments ago. They’ve been waiting for you for more than an hour and you still haven’t arrived. So they assumed you won’t able to make it since you got problem with your flight.” She explained. “Do you want me to send them back?”

“No, it’s okay. I’ll just take a cab or something!”

Now this makes me feel so guilty. Realizing that every decision I make has its consequences. If I didn’t agree to have coffee with Brad we won’t be chased by the ratsies and we won’t be running all over the airport like mad men and I won’t miss my car!

BOSTON TOUCH DOWN. CALL YOU LATER. LUV YAH

Sent!

I don’t know if I just texted him out of guilty or something/. I put my phone back to my purse and started to walk to look for a cab.

A black SUV drives towards my direction and honking so loudly/ it stopped right in front of me and I wait as the driver puts the window down.

“I think now you really need a ride.” I rolled my eyes. ”Are you waiting for Santa or something? Hop in!”

I opened the car door and jumped right in. I almost faint from the freshener he has, a hanging pine tree from his rearview mirror. It smells like a mix of puke that’s been kept in a small container for a decade and aloe vera with a little mint on it. Blerrggh, it disgusts me!

“Oh god! You still have that?!” I exclaimed, disgusted. As it is his favorite freshener ever since and I won’t really ever understand what he loves about it.

“Yap! It’s really good isn’t it?” he said, inhaling all the remaining fresh air inside his car.

“I’m gonna go.” I said, stepping out of the car.

“What? Wait, no!”

“I’m not getting back unless you get rid of that freshener.” I dared.

“No, why? It’s my favorite!” he said, wrinkling his forehead.

“But it’s disgusting. You knew I hate that!”

“No, it’s not!” He said defensively, sniffing his pine tree freshener, as if it refreshes the air. But no, it just adds to the pollution! “Oh come on! Don’t let me choose between you two.”

“Yes. Because I know you’ll choose the freshener. Bye then.” Then I closed the door.

He put the window down and peep his head over. “Of course not, you silly!” He took the pine tree down from the rearview mirror and threw it out of the window. “I’ll choose you.”