The Storm

When the blonde man woke up a few hours later, he couldn't say he felt exactly refreshed, but he did feel a lot better. That feeling only increased as the bed shifted and he opened his eyes to see Kirstie on her phone.

"Feeling better, sleepy head?" She asked without looking away from the bright screen. Scott sat up and stretched, settling against the headboard. "Is that a no?" Kirstie typed one last thing then put her phone down to direct her attention to him when he didn't respond.

"Yeah, I guess. Where's Mitch?"

"He's downstairs. He wasn't sure if you'd want to see him when you woke up."

"Should I want to?"

"Why not?" Kirstin deadpanned, shaking her head. "I've never seen this side to you, but you can't be mad at him for not being here when you didn't ask him to stay. Maybe I should keep this to myself, but Mitch was so worried about you when you became late to pick him up. And you two aren't even together, but he feels so guilty that it's ridiculous."

The brunette was making his way back to the room. He had left to calm himself down because he may or may not have busted into tears thinking about his best friend hating him. He was right outside of the door, but paused when he heard Scott mention his name.

"I'm not mad at Mitch. It's just that pushing him away-"

"Does what?" Mitch interrupted. Both friend's heads snapped up and Scott's eyes found the red, puffy-eyed man standing in the doorway. "Pushing me away does what? Look. I am sorry for whatever I did to make you feel like you need to do that, but I am here now, and I will stay until you want me to leave."

They just watched each other in an uncomfortable silence. Scott wasn't sure what to say. He wasn't even sure how much of that Mitch had heard, but he was glad he hadn't said more to KT. She decided to speak up to prompt them.

"I'm, uh, order some take-out while you two talk. See yall in a bit," she told them. She walked toward Mitch and offered him an encouraging smile before slipping past him.

"I'm sorry," Mitch repeated. He took a few cautious steps into the room, wringing his hands. Scott recognized the nervous movement and got out of bed, meeting Mitch in the middle of the room.

"I'm not upset with you, you've really done nothing. I'm a little messed up in my head right now."

"Why could you talk to Kirstin then and not me?" He questioned.

Scott cracked the first smile that Mitch had seen since he got there that morning and it made his stomach turn in the best way possible. "You sound a bit jealous..."

"No. I'm not," he responded, also giving a hint of a smile. Mitch really hadn't meant to sound like a jealous kid, he wasn't at all jealous. Hurt, maybe, but not jealous. "I want to know."

Scott sighed and shrugged. "It's easier to tell her stuff because if I say the wrong thing she doesn't take it to heart. You're sensitive, Mitch. I don't want you to feel obligated for anything or blame yourself for anything that comes out of my mouth sideways. Does that make sense?"

In a way, Scott was somewhat telling the truth. It was easier to talk to KT because she wasn't the one he was head over heels in love with. But the second part, he meant. If he told Mitch how he felt, he didn't want the shorter man to blame himself for Scott's slight breakdown that morning or feel obligated to stay and be with him. Mitch was a people pleaser at times whether he was willing to admit that aloud to others or not.

Mitch shrugged. "Sort of... So are we good right now and can you please tell me what happened between last night and this morning?"

"We're good, but I don't want to talk about that just yet. Let's go eat and enjoy each other's company," Scott offered. Mitch could tell he wasn't completely back to his self, but maybe that would help.

"Okay," he agreed, wiping away the remnants of the tears he had shed.

Mitch took his hand and they went downstairs into the dim, navy blue-walled cinema. They sat on a small couch and went through a list of movies together on the connected tablet. Mitch at some point hesitantly laid his head on Scott's shoulder, still a bit fearful of rejection, but none came. This was similar to the way he laid with Shane and that's all he could think about too, as the Korean movie they finally chose, '200 Pound Beauty', played.

On one hand he had this amazing friend that he loved and adored and on the other, he had his ex who now seemed to be a changed guy. Shane has become sweet, kind, and trustworthy. Or was it a front? After last night, Mitch wasn't sure. What he did know is that it was working. He could easily have Shane now, but he couldn't just have Scott. He started to unknowingly rub Scott's thigh as he thought. Shane had been there for him at his worst, but if the blonde he'd become so close to wanted him, he'd say yes with no questions asked.

"Um Mitch what are you thinking about so hard?" Kirstie asked, stopping in her tracks when she saw how close they were. Their talk must have went well, she thought. She passed them their food containers and drinks before settling on the coral suede leather loveseat beside them.

"Hmm, what?...Oh I didn't realize what I was doing."

Scott shot Kirstie a harsh look as Mitch retrieved his hand to his own lap. She rolled her eyes and shrugged.

As the movie progressed Scott seemed to come back to being himself. He was smiling and laughing and even singing along to parts of the film. Mitch unconsciously moved closer into Scott's side at time passed. It was nice to see his Scotty instead of what he saw earlier.

"Feeling better?" Mitch whispered to Scott after another wave of laughter shook their bodies. Scott peeked down at him and nodded with a joy filled grin.

"A lot better now actually. Thanks." Scott wrapped his arm around Mitch's waist and continued watching movies until it was dark out again.

By then, Kirstie had decided it was time for her to go home. Mitch chose to stay with Scott, not wanting to leave and risk anything again. He had followed Scott to his room at the end of the night to grab pajamas.

"You fine sleeping alone? I don't mind making this a slumber party," he offered, hopeful. Scott seemed like he didn't even need to think about it when he shook his head no.

"I'm still tired from this morning so it won't be much of slumber party."

Mitch tried not to sound to disappointed and muttered, "O-okay. I'll see you in the morning then. Sweet dreams."

The brunette turned to walk to his own room, almost missing Scott's parroted reply. He smiled to himself and continued down the hall, shutting the guest bedroom door behind him, immediately going to bathe and change. The pajamas made him feel warm compared to the slight chill of the house, but now he was sure nothing could make him feel as warm as Scott's embrace had.

As he climbed under the fluffy bed covers and rested his head on the pillow, he'd wished Scott would had let him stay in his room. To him Scott was the most complicated puzzle he'd ever run a cross at times, but he was going complete that puzzle until he new every piece by heart. Scott just had to let him.

Mitch began to shut his eyes, ready to drift off, until the sound of something hitting the windows stopped him. He opened his eyes and sat up to see quick droplets forming on the window glass. Rain. Oh how he hated the rain because he new what followed it. Maybe it'll only drizzle and pass, he thought to- No-he prayed to himself, with eyes shut tight. But it seemed mother nature had her own set of plans.