Overheard

Mitch's P.O.V.

I opened my eyes slowly, trying to blink away the blurriness. It took me a moment to realize where I was until I remembered last nights events. I remember falling asleep in Scott's arms, but he was no longer beside me keeping me warm.

I laid there for a bit, enjoying the feeling of the best sleep I've gotten in a long time. After a few minutes, when the urge to use the toilet got too strong, I rolled out of the pullout bed and left the theater. There was a bathroom on the lower-level of the house so I used it to brush my teeth and fixed my hair, using one of the spare hygiene kits.

When I was finished and somewhat presentable I went up the stairs to see Scott was eating toast and talking to Sophia. I stopped walking and listened when I heard my name. What was with everyone talking about me behind my back? I pressed my back to the hallway wall so they didn't see me.

"Where's Mitch and Kirstie? You haven't let them slip away, have you?" Sophia asked, refilling her own glass of what I guessed was cranberry juice.

"Kirstie went home last night, but Mitch is downstairs sleeping. It's a long story and no I haven't let him slip away, I'm never letting him slip away or her. I love them, Soph'."

I smiled at that and was about to walk out when Sophia clapped her small hands together.

"So you've told him how you feel. That's great-" She stopped and stared at Scott, her own smile dropping. "You still haven't told him? I swear, the two of you are making a thing that could be so easy so difficult."

I tilted my head in confusion. What was there to tell me, I understood why he was upset yesterday morning. And what were we making so difficult?

Scott shrugged at her and bit into another piece of the powdered sugar covered bread. He ridded his mouth of the sweet before responding. "He doesn't feel the same about me as I feel about him. He sees me as an amazing friend, said so last night."

I didn't say that was all I saw him as. And I was about to step into the open and tell him so, when another interruption stopped me. It was a harsh knock at the door. I waited for him get up to open it before I walked out casually and faked a yawn. Kirstie scrambled into the house looking tired and worried.

"Good morning to you, too," Scott mumbled, closing the door. He turned and crossed his arms over his chest.

"Um, are you okay, Kirst?" I questioned as she stared at me with confusion. Scott just watched her expression change about 10 times.

"Am I okay? The question is, 'how are you okay'? Last nights storm was horrible and you look like you slept like a baby. How is that even possible?" She examined me with her hands on my shoulders.

I smiled and nodded toward blondie next to us. "Scooter took care of me and I really feel fabulous."

She nodded, "And you look it. Thanks for taking care of him, Scott."

"Yeah, thanks," I repeated. Scott looked at us and nodded with a dismissive smile. Okay then...

"It was my pleasure," he responded. "Now, let's get some food in you two."

~*~

Scott led them to the kitchen and they sat at the counter while Sophia made them coffee and served the two breakfast. As Mitch told Kirstie about last night, he subtly linked fingers with Scott without even looking at him. Scott glanced down at their hands, a little surprised at the action, then back up at the younger man. He just continued talking to Kirstie like it was nothing.

When he was done talking and eating, Mitch slid his hand from Scott's and got up, excusing himself. He went to get dressed and find his forgotten phone. It had dozens of missed calls and unopened messages from Kirstie and his sister.