Chapter 5

A gentle hoot pulled Harry out of sleep. Rolling over, he reached out, snagged his glasses and peered blearily around the room. Movement at the window caught his attention and he was up and stumbling across the room as fast as he could.

"Hedwig!" he greeted as he opened the window to allow his familiar entry. "You found the place okay then?"

A hoot followed by a short flap of her wings bringing him to his shoulder gave him his answer.

"I missed you girl," he crooned, moving back to sit on the bed as he stroked her breast feathers.

Running his mind back through the tour of the manor, Harry frowned. He couldn't remember seeing any owl perches. He'd have to find some from somewhere for Hedwig.

"Just a minute, girl, I think I've still got some owl treats in my trunk."

Hedwig flew off his shoulder to perch on the chair to his desk while Harry began rummaging around in his trunk. The thought of food, though, caught his stomachs' attention and it growled. He ignored it. This wasn't any different from what he'd experienced countless times at the Dursleys, so he knew that he could wait at little longer.

After spoiling Hedwig with a number of treats and some extra petting, Harry headed off to the shower. As he was scrubbing three days of dirt, sweat and grime away, he planned his day out.

There was a small village not far away and that, he knew, was going to be his first destination. Hopefully, he'd find somewhere to breakfast there, before buying up the food that he'd need to see him through a few days. Once he returned, exploring some more of Potter Haven sounded the most interesting.

Dressed in some clean clothes, Harry made his way back downstairs and out the front doors. His bike was exactly where he'd left it – propped up against one of the pillars of the porch.

He swung one leg over before stopping, frowning and getting back off. A quick cushioning charm on the seat later and he was back on again.

The ride to the village was pleasant in the early morning light. It was still early enough in the day to ensure that the sun didn't have any bite to it and the gentle breeze felt cool on his face.

As he glided into the village, Harry looked curiously around. Double storied homes with neat little gardens in full bloom, lined the main street. Signs pointed out the way to the primary school and half a dozen bed and breakfast places that could be found off of the side streets. He rolled past the small village green before noting the location of the village shop.

A large red-stone building caught his attention and he pulled up in front. A set of tables with attached bench seating out on the grass to either side of the door told him that this was the place that he was looking for. Looking up at the large sign over the door, he nodded.

The Plough and Shear

Leaving his bike leaning against the wall outside, Harry pushed open the heavy oak door and entered.

"Mornin' young fella, you're out and about early," he was greeted.

Harry looked up at the elderly man behind the counter at the far side of the bar and gave a small smile.

"I was hoping to find somewhere to have some breakfast," Harry replied as he walked across the room.

"Well, then, you've come to the right place," the man smiled broadly making the many wrinkles on his face as deep as furrows. "What can I be gettin' you?"

Noticing a menu chalked on the big board behind the man, Harry eagerly scanned it. The rumble of his stomach made his mind up for him.

"The big breakfast, please."