Chapter 27

"Trainee Auror Tonks, welcome to the Big Board," Auror Lionel Williamson said, gesturing to the large map of Great Britain on the wall behind him.

"Thank you, Sir," Tonks replied.

"I assume that you're familiar with how it works?" Williamson asked.

"Yes, Sir," Tonks replied, before elaborating. "The map is tied to the wards surrounding the country. Every ward is calibrated to detect magical emissions. By utilizing the information of strength and distance of magical discharges from each ward stone, the board is able to triangulate the exact position of that discharge. Naturally, known magical dwellings, as well as magical shopping districts, for example Hogsmeade, and other important sites like Hogwarts and Saint Mungo's have all been nullified on the map."

"Correct, Auror Tonks," Williamson stated, sounding pleased with her knowledge. "That means that our primary duty with this Board is watching out for under-age magic and especially pre-Hogwarts aged children's magical outbursts so that we can deal with it as quickly as possible, thus maintaining the Statute of Secrecy. A happy side-effect is that we can also monitor for any magical law breaking."

Tonks nodded her understanding as she eyed the Big Board.

"Your duty is to watch the board for any flashes. The brighter the flash, the greater the magical discharge. Continuous flashes represent the repeated use of magic. Usually, it's pretty boring work, no matter how necessary it is. If by some chance something does happen, pass it up the line as quickly as you can. Any questions?" Williamson asked.

"No, Sir, I think I've got this," Tonks stated firmly.

With a nod, he left her to settle into the hard-backed chair behind the table to watch the board for the next six hour shift.

-oOoOo-

Harry paused at the top of the drive into Potter Haven, just inside the ward boundaries, turned and looked back down.

The valley lay before him in all of its glory. Spring had finally come to Scotland, perhaps a little later than might have been expected, but that could be just because of how far north they were. Snow no longer covered the hills and valleys. A light dusting of purple signified where the heather was beginning its yearly regrowth and, further down into the valley, the grass was greening up nicely.

From this vantage point, he could see the long, thin grey line that meandered down the hill before coming to stop in front of the manor. The new gardens that bordered the drive couldn't be made out from here, but Harry knew that the flowers that he and Dobby had planted were beginning to bloom. Mostly they were traditional – daisies, chrysanthemums and primroses – mixed in with hedges of lavender as well as the occasional magical species like honking daffodils and flitterblooms.

Further down the valley, the blue of the small loch sparkled drawing his attention and making him smile as he remembered his flight around the valley only yesterday when he'd dipped his toes in the cool water as he flew over the top of it on his Nimbus.

"Master Harry Sir?"

Harry looked down at the house elf beside him and smiled.

"I'm coming, Dobby, just admiring the view," he said.

Turning, Harry walked the last few metres and felt a tingling sensation on his body as he crossed the valley wards.

Clempshaw Lane really wasn't much to look at. To be honest, it was little more than a dirt track, barely wide enough for two cars to pass each other, bordered by an old hedge in desperate need of some TLC. Every few metres, there were either dead patches in the hedge or places where a hole had opened up.