Chapter 31

The Atrium of the Ministry of Magic erupted the instant that the lift containing Harry and Julius rose into sight. Even before the doors had opened, Harry was being peppered with questions.

"Where have you been hiding out?"

"What do you think of the fines?"

"Is it true that you battled with Lucius Malfoy?"

"How did you survive another killing curse?"

"Are you going back to Hogwarts now that your name is cleared?"

"What are you real feelings towards Albus Dumbledore and the way he tried to force you to return to your relatives?"

Harry tentatively stepped forward, keeping so close to Julius that his shoulder was basically rubbing against the elderly man's shoulder. Flashes blossomed around him and gusts of purple smoke billowed out above the crowd. To one side, the man with the microphone from the Wizarding Wireless Network was holding it out, obviously hoping to have Harry's voice transmitted over the airwaves.

"If you'll all kindly step back and allow Mister Potter some space, we'll issue a short statement before Mister Potter answers a few questions," Julius stated.

Immediately, the dozen or so journalists shuffled backwards, providing a small half-circle of clearance away from the lift.

Harry'd known that this was coming – Julius had warned him that the 'vultures were sure to be waiting' – but it was still incredibly unnerving to be surrounded so tightly by so many people. Especially after living for so long with just Dobby around for company.

Julius cleared his throat, causing instant silence.

"Mister Potter is extremely pleased that the drama of the past eight months has finally been put to rest. Today's trial was the chance for him to set the record straight. Yes, he performed accidental magic in a muggle area, but it was only in defence of himself. Albus Dumbledore was threatening Mister Potter's very magic and we are extremely pleased that the court realised this fact and voted him non-guilty. As for the truancy charge, it was a mere technicality that caused Mister Potter to fall afoul of the Ministry's directives, a technicality that we will be rectifying before we leave the Ministry today."

The instant that he paused, the first question was sent Harry's way.

"Mister Potter, Rita Skeeter, Daily Prophet reporter," a green-robed woman with horn-rimmed glasses perched on the end of her nose identified herself. "What do you think of the exorbitant fines that were levelled at you today?"

"Um," Harry began, sneaking a glance up at Julius' face, "I know I was guilty and deserved a fine, but I didn't think it'd be quite that much."

"Markus Waynesbury, also from the Daily Prophet," the man beside Rita Skeeter said. "It was revealed that you were awarded an Outstanding OWL in Muggle Studies. It's obvious that you've been putting a lot of work into continuing your magical education. Is it your intention to return to Hogwarts or to continue studying on your own?"

"I'd rather not answer that question just yet," Harry replied.

"Just where have you been hiding out?" one of the men in the back called.

Harry looked up to see Julius give him a slight nod. "My place is called Potter Haven but I'm afraid that its location has to stay secret."

"Harry, is it true that you fought Lucius Malfoy and survived another killing curse?"

"Yes," he nodded simply, not giving away any extra information, just as he'd been coached.

"How did you survive it?" Rita Skeeter purred. "Do you have some extra special powers that the rest of us don't?"