Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Cornelius Fudge, Minister for Magic, surveyed the eager faces arrayed before him. Of the six, four were aurors loyal to him rather than to their own department. The other two were a necessary evil. Both were small time thugs, muggleborns both, who owed Cornelius a favour or two.

"Now, you all know your objective?" he asked. At their nods, he continued. "We're pretty sure that Harry Potter has left the magical world and is out hiding somewhere in the muggle world. He's not going to be easy to find out there, but it is imperative that we do."

"Do not let his title lull you into a false sense of security," Delores Umbridge interrupted from slightly behind him. "Potter may be famous, he might be The-Boy-Who-Lived, but no one is above the law, especially a half-blood boy."

At Lucius Malfoy's approving nod, Cornelius continued.

"Auror Dawlish is our point man here. Any tips or leads you find, pass them along to him. Auror Stevenson, your normal job is monitoring the big board for unexplained magical occurrences in Great Britain. That fits in perfectly with our target. He's broken the Decree of Underage Sorcery and the Statute of Secrecy before, he'll do it again. Watch the board and let us know if you see something suspicious."

The small woman nodded curtly, making her shoulder length hair bob about her face.

"Aurors Daniels and Higginson. In your folder, you'll find a list of known associates of Potter. Put them under a careful watch. He's sure to contact them sometime and we need to know the instant that he does."

The two men, one larger than average, the other smaller than average with matching buzz cut hairstyles, nodded before opening their folders and beginning to read.

"John," Cornelius said to his lead auror. "I want you to keep your ear to the ground in the DMLE and especially around Madam Bones. If they find out something, I want to know about it. As for you two, use whatever contacts you have out in the muggle world to try to find him that way."

"He's got muggle relatives, don't he?" the rat-faced man at the end of the table asked. "We'll start there."

"And we'll check out the public records office, too." The other continued. "He's bound to show up in some school somewhere or other."

"Hem hem," Umbridge interrupted. "Just remember that this boy is a danger to our society. He needs to be taken care of. One way or the other."

"One last thing," Cornelius said. "Remember that this task force is a secret of the highest level. You are all only to report to me."

Cornelius looked up into the sparkling eyes of Lucius Malfoy. It was clear that Lord Malfoy approved of everything that had been decided here today.

-oOoOo-

A steady pounding in his head brought unwanted consciousness. A long, low groan escaped him and immediately a pair of cool hands were gently probing his head, forehead and neck.

"I take it you're in pain," a voice stated. "Can you tell me where it hurts?"

"Head," he managed to croak.

"That's to be expected. Here, drink this," that same voice, a female he now realised, insisted.

A vial of some sort was pushed into his hands before both hands and vial were guided up to his mouth. He shuddered slightly at the ghastly taste of the pain relief potion, but knowing the taste, he forced himself to wait the required minute before blessed relief washed over him.

"Ahh," he sighed as the pain diminished to a dull ache that could easily be ignored.

"My glasses," he asked.