Chapter 24

"Harry!"

Harry's eyes shot up from the overladen tray that he'd been trying to keep balanced. His eyes were wide. No one here should know that name. His heart pounded in his chest even as sweat burst out on his forehead, on the palms of his hands and began to dribble down his back.

He took an involuntary step backwards, away from the dozen or so people seated around the combined tables. One girl with remarkably familiar bushy hair was already on the move, speeding around the end of the table towards him causing his panic to rise and the feeling of needing to flee to increase.

Seconds before the girl impacted with him, he felt the tray being jerked out of his hands.

"Harry, Harry, Harry," the girl cried as she flung her arms around him, squeezing the life out of him as only one other had ever done to him before.

"Hermione?" he breathed in wonderment.

At her nod, his arms automatically came up to wrap around her. A scent of jasmine hit his nose as he buried it in her hair and he felt himself smile. Wetness formed on his cheeks as he realised that for the first time in over seven months, he was back with his best friend.

Lifting his eyes, Harry took in the crowd of people clustering around. The Weasley twins, Fred and George, with their dominant red hair and wide grins were the first that he recognised. Beside them was Neville, flanked by Susan and Hannah. Still coming around from the other side of the table, were Lil, Luna, Colin and Fiona.

"Come on, Hermione, we all want a turn," Daphne stated, beginning to pull at her friend's shoulders.

Ever so reluctantly, Hermione let him go, looking up at him with a huge smile on her face, tears still rolling down her cheeks. Immediately, her place was taken by Daphne on one side and Tracey on the other.

"Is this where've you been, mate?" Neville asked as he slapped him on the back.

"How are you, Harry?" a taller version of Hermione who Harry recognised as Mrs Granger asked, taking her turn at giving him a hug.

"Harrykins!" Fred and George chorused when it was finally their turn to greet him before they threw their arms around him and danced him in a circle.

"Let me go, you red-headed menaces," Harry laughed.

No sooner had they done so then Hermione was back for a second hug.

"How'd you find me?" Harry spluttered, looking over the top of Hermione's head. "Who else knows I'm here?"

"Don't worry, Harry, we're the only ones that know you're here," Lil reassured him.

"Yeah, we had a plan," Fred and George grinned.

"Is that supposed to reassure me?" Harry mocked.

"You wound us, Harrykins," Fred said, an expression of pain on his face, one hand over his heart.

"Expect a serious pranking for that sort of comment," George grinned.

"But how did you find me?" Harry asked again.

"That was me," Colin piped up. "I saw you over the Christmas break when my family came here on tour."

Harry stared at the mousey-haired boy nearly bouncing in front of him. "Then why didn't you say something then?"

"Couldn't," he replied. "Didn't see you until I was already on the bus and it was leaving. I took your photo though, to prove that I'd seen you."

The alarmed expression on his face must have given his thoughts away about that idea, as Neville immediately set out to calm him down.