Chapter 29

Albus Dumbledore drummed his fingers on his desk as he waited. He was still not used to being left out of the know, even after most of a year of being mostly confined to the ancient castle. And then, to have every single one of his decisions as Headmaster scrutinized on top of it, grated on his very being.

It was the waiting that was the hardest. He'd tried convincing the young, well young by his standards at least, auror that, as Headmaster, he needed to accompany the group of students that he and his partner had collected before FLOOing off to the Ministry. Unfortunately, they were apparently 'under orders' to just bring the kids. The make-up of that group of students had been incredibly worrisome – every single one of them was a friend of Harry Potter's.

Today being a Hogsmeade day, he'd known that they were all out of the castle. All, that is, except for the Lovegood girl and Mister Creevey. What could have happened that had made them return to the castle early or for the aurors to turn up shortly afterwards was the mystery that begged to be solved. Not even Aberforth knew and he usually knew everything that happened in the magical village.

Ordinarily, Albus would be pacing his office while he waited if he needed to think. Unfortunately, that wasn't an option right now, not with so many others already there. Mister Connington, his Observer, had suggested that, as there were students from every House involved, then it only made sense for their Heads of House to be here when they returned. Albus had been forced to grit his teeth and agree, the very last thing that he wanted to do. How was he supposed to find out the information for himself and pass only what was essential to others?

The fire flaring up and turning green caught everyone's attention – even Severus stepped slightly out of the corner where he was leaning against the wall in the only bit of shadow in the office – turning them around in expectation.

The first to step through was a man that Albus knew well – the tall bald-headed black man wearing the red-robes was Senior Auror Kingsley Shaklebolt. And then came a procession of students: One of the Weasly twins followed by the other; Misses Greengrass, Davis and Spinks; Mister Creevey; Miss Lovegood; Mister Longbottom and Misses Bones, Moon and Abbot; and finally, Hermione Granger.

With shuffling feet, the dozen students lined up behind Kingsley, each, Albus noted, giving furtive glances at their respective Head of House.

"Kingsley. Thank you for bringing our wayward students back to us? I trust that they weren't in any sort of trouble?" Albus said lightly.

"Not with us, at least, Albus. I'll leave it up to you to decide if you'll be punishing them," Kingsley's deep baritone replied.

"What in the world did you need them for?" Minerva asked, obviously unable to control herself. "Did something happen in Hogsmeade?"

"Not in Hogsmeade, no," Kingsley replied, turning to face her. "In southern Scotland, yes. These twelve were witnesses to an altercation between Harry Potter and Lucius Malfoy."

"What?"

"Southern Scotland?"

The outburst from the teachers behind the students caused more than one to flinch and stare even more pointedly at the floor at their feet.

Kingsley raised a hand to still their questions. "I'm sure you'll read about it in tomorrow's Prophet, so I'll give you the bare bones now. These twelve snuck out of Hogsmeade, not the first time either from what I understand, in order to meet up with Mister Potter."

Once again Kingsley had to hold up a hand to hold off their comments.

"It seems, though, that they were followed by Lucius Malfoy. There was a bit of an argument and then a duel between Potter and Malfoy which resulted in Malfoy casting an AK at Potter. Hit him, too."