Chapter 13

After stretching languidly, Harry blinked to take in the early morning light. He groped blindly for his glasses before putting them on and bringing the world into focus.

By the looks of things, it was not long past dawn, too early really for getting up but at the same time, far too late to even attempt to go back to sleep. Mentally, he reviewed his day ahead: it was a Saturday, which meant he would be off to the Plough later. And it was to be a late shift too. Angus had mentioned that there was a busload coming in for dinner and had asked Harry to stay a bit later.

Half-heartedly, Harry threw off his blankets, swung himself out of bed and padded across to his dresser. A smile so wide that it nearly split his face broke out as he spotted the line of birthday cards atop the dresser. Every time he saw them it was the same, but then, why wouldn't it be? These were the first birthday cards that he'd ever received.

There on the end was the beautifully hand-made card from Luna with the strangest creature with curled horns on top of its head that she'd painted on the front of it. Next to it was card from Neville. Hermione's card held pride of place in the centre, with Sirius' to its right. And, rounding out the lot was the small, simple card from Professor McGonagall. They'd been sitting there for a week now ever since his birthday last Saturday and he had no intention of taking them down for a long time to come.

-oOoOo-

"Morning, Dobby," Harry called as he strode into the kitchen.

"Good morning Master Harry Sir," the little elf bounced, "is Master Harry Sir wanting some breakfast?"

"It's Saturday, Dobby," Harry reminded him, only to see a pair of large bat-like ears droop.

"Maybe just a piece of toast, then," Harry relented, causing those ears to spring back into life at the same time as the gaudily dressed elf began rocketing around the kitchen.

"There you is, Master Harry Sir," Dobby beamed as he placed a plate piled with four pieces of toast in front of where Harry sat at the bench.

With a sigh, he picked up the top piece and took a bite. He simply knew that he'd just done the wrong thing. Saturdays were supposed to be Dobby's day off. But now that he'd given in once, he'd be tempted to do it again. The problem was that he could see how much it meant to his little friend to be allowed do things for him. What was worse was what he was going to get Dobby to do later that evening. Unfortunately, it couldn't be helped.

"Dobby, do you remember what I asked you to do tonight?" Harry asked.

A large grey head nodded vigorously. "Dobby knows, Master Harry Sir. Dobby can do the glamours easy. Dobby won't let Master Harry down."

"Thanks, Dobby," Harry smiled through a mouthful of toast. "Go have fun doing whatever it is that you do on your day off, okay? I'll see you tonight."

With a sad look, Dobby raised one hand and snapped his fingers, disappearing with a small pop.

With a sigh, Harry pulled the Goblin Postal Service Box to him to examine his mail.

Opening the lid, he found a pair of letters along with his copy of The Daily Prophet. Placing the letters to one side for now, Harry unfolded the paper. Seeing the headline, he was glad that he hadn't been drinking just then, otherwise he was sure that he would have sprayed it everywhere.

Dumbledore Guilty!

By Rita Skeeter

Yesterday saw the trial of Albus Dumbledore held in front of a full court of the Wizengamot to determine exactly what happened at King's Cross Station on June 30 this year.