Simon's Cat

You step inside your home after a long day, glad to have some time to yourself and watch some television. All too soon, though, your shows are over and there are only reruns of documentaries you've more than memorized by now.

"YouTube it is, then."

Living on your own, you've always had a tendancy to think out loud to yourself. It's just made it feel...less lonely, you suppose.

Turning on the YouTube app on the Roku, you have a look at the trending videos and see that Simon's Cat has uploaded something new. You happily choose that channel and hit play on the 'New Uploads' list, making sure that autoplay is on.

As the cheery cartoon plays, you feel your eyelids grow heavy and soon, you drift off to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You open your eyes, expecting to find that you forgot to turn off the television and your videos are still playing...but instead, you see that the television has been turned off...and there's a cat laying in your lap!

"Well hello, there..." you gingerly scratch behind its ears, "and where did you come from..?"

The cat stretches, lifting his tail into your face before turning around to look at you. He gives you big curious eyes and points to his mouth with his paw...wait...his hand? No...wait... What?

"Maow."

"Hello, Cat...you...didn't happen to bring Simon with you...did you...?" You glance around the room curiously. That has to be the only explanation. Simon's Cat is the only cat (besides the kitten) that can point to his mouth like that.

You get up, picking Cat up as well, and have a look around your home. Cat gives a 'mraow' and rubs his face against yours, purring.

"..Simon...?" You call out towards the kitchen, which is adjacent to the living room. "Is...is there anyone here...?"

A head pops out from the door to the kitchen, making you jump. "Hello," Simon smiles, his British accent evident, "I see you're awake. I hope my cats didn't bother you too much. I tried to keep them away from you but they tend to do the opposite of what they're told."

You chuckle selfconsciously, setting Cat down onto the floor. "Yeah...well...that's how cats usually are..."

"True." He grins and pulls his head back into the kitchen. You step in after him, Cat hopping between your feet, to see that Simon is using your kitchenware to make pancakes and eggs.

"So...when did you get here...?" You carefully prod, not wanting to seem rude, but also curious as to how and why they're here.

"Ah, yes, that. Well...I'm not quite sure, actually...we were just sort of...here, I suppose. I hope we're not intruding." He suddenly stops, turning to look at you questioningly.

You glance around, noticing the strangeness of his cartoonish (but very real) eyes and the pancakes that look and smell absolutely delicious. Cat purrs and meows as he rubs his head on your legs and the kitten suddenly bolts into the room, rolling and tumbling into Cat along the way.

Cat gives an irritated meow and bats the little grey kitten in the head to make him sit still. You smile down at the kitten and he stares up at you with big eyes. He points to his mouth and gives an adorable little mew.

"Nermal, you silly kitten." Simon scolds lightly as you reach down to pick the little one up and cuddle him, "You haven't been ruining anything in _____'s house, have you?"

"Oh, I'm sure he's fine." You smile, "You said his name is Nermal?" Your mind drifts back to the days you had time to read Garfield comic books and the little adorable kitten that always took all the attention.

Simon goes back to cooking, "Yeah, and the other one is Hugh. They get a bit playful, I hope you don't mind."

As he's telling you this, Nermal bats at, then bites your hand, making you jump and pull your hand away. Hugh stretches up to put his paws on your leg, meowing for attention.

Simon turns and sees his cats bombarding you, and sighs. "I'm so terribly sorry." He shoos them away and out of the kitchen. "They do seem to be very fond of you, though, I must say."

You smile as he serves the pancakes and eggs on two plates and takes them out into the dining area.

"It's fine, really. I love cats." You sit at the table, taking a plate. "Thanks for breakfast. You didn't have to do that."

"Well, I figured that since we were intruding," he takes a seat opposite you, "that I would at least make myself useful in some way."

Before you can say anything more, the doorbell rings and you excuse yourself, saying you'll be right back. Going to the door, you can't seem to get it to unlock. The person on the other side continues to ring the bell as you try to open it, but as hard as you try, the more stubborn the door is.

You open your eyes to find yourself on the couch, Simon's Cat playing on the television, and the doorbell ringing loudly. You sigh and rub your eyes before getting up to answer the door. When you do, a smiling face greets you.

"Hi, _____! You'll never guess who sent me over here to give these to you!" Julie's smile is wide and mischievous as she hands you the bouquet of your favorite flowers. "John! John Arbuckle! Can you believe it? He actually got up the nerve! I mean. Finally, am I right?"

You laugh. Julie has always been like this. She loves to meddle and gossip, but you don't mind in the least. You invite her in, knowing she's going to love hearing the strange dream you had about cats and a man cooking you breakfast.

You smile as you remember dreaming that John and his pets were just a comic strip and the purring the cats made, your heart warming a bit.

It all felt so real...

Maybe you should get a cat of your own...you'll get a small grey kitten...and name him Nermal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N

I know, I know...I could have done better...but tbh I kinda like it...but then, I'm biased...hahaha...

This idea was suggested by my friend Nadia, and I loved it instantly! But I know I can improve how I wrote it, so please let me know how you think it could be improved!

Thanks for being awesome, y'all, and keep being you!

Sara M.