CrankGameplays

You wake up with the pounding in your head just as present and profound as it was when you fell asleep. You take a breath and your throat screams at you that you're tearing it apart. Your arms stay heavily where they lie and you can't decide if you want to risk moving anything at all.

Why did you wake up? Couldn't you have just slept until this awful feeling of half-death went away?

The sound suddenly reaches your ears: voices. They're hushed, but they're there. They sound like they're coming from your kitchen.

You quietly groan, angry enough to move your aching body up out of bed, albeit slowly, and grab the metal baseball bat you keep under your bed for just such an emergency. You pull on your robe and go to your bedroom door, pressing your ear against the wood to see what the intruders are saying.

"No, don't do that, it's too loud!"

"Quiet...you'll wake her!"

They know that you're home...they know you were sleeping...do they know just how sick you really are? Have they been stalking you? Who really are these people?

Well then, this is your chance to catch them off-guard. Just because you're sick doesn't mean you're defensless. You have a giant metal bat, for gosh sakes!

You carefully open your door, getting a good grip on the bat as you peek out. They left the lights off and since you pulled the curtains closed before you went to sleep, the house is very dark.  All you can really see are shadows.

"Here, bring that to the counter." There's some shuffling around in your kitchen area. "Did you bring the broth?"

Wait a second...broth?

"Yeah, but I couldn't find the one you asked for so I got the generic brand."

"You what! You know she's got allergies to certain things! We can't just use whatever broth you find at the store!"

"Broth doesn't even use two things that she's allergic to, Ethan. Chill out, okay?"

Listening closer, you realize you recognize the voices. You go over to the light switch and flip it on, bat still in hand, but now hanging harmlessly at your side. The intruders freeze instantly in what they're doing, eyes wide like deer in headlights.

Your eyes on the other hand, droop tiredly. You honestly feel like you're about to keel over and die any second, but try not to show it. Besides, you're probably being dramatic, anyway.

"Guys...what are you doing here...?" You rasp, wincing at the pain that comes from using your voice but still taking in the scene before you: Ethan and Mark are both in your kitchen. They have cloth grocery bags that are filled with all kinds of things, which Mark was apparently in the process of spreading out on the counter. Ethan had obviously been looking through your cabinets for something or other that you didn't really have the energy to guess at.

Ethan breaks from his frozen state of shock at being caught and frowns at you, putting his hands on his hips. "What are we doing here? What are you doing out of bed? You're supposed to be resting, you know."

Usually you would laugh at his response, as he's obviously trying to avoid blame, or you'd roll your eyes at him for being silly. Today, though...you have no energy for anything at all. "You guys will get sick..." You take a breath, wincing with every action you make. Even thinking hurts. "You shouldn't...be here..."

The bat drops from your hand and clangs against the wood floor of your living area. You feel yourself losing the adrenaline from your fight-or-flight response and reach out to steady yourself on the couch, feeling the entire world tip and roll. Instantly your friends are beside you, determined not to let you fall as you drift suddenly out of consciousness.