Scorpions

So when I turned 18, I had improved a lot. Well I supposed if I didn't you'd think we'd be worried seeming as I played cricket almost every day of the week for almost 6 years. I think about it now and I never thanked my Dad as much as I should've. He persevered with every high and low I went through. On more than one occasion I sat up all night in his bed, crying in frustration. He said the same thing every time I cried because of cricket.
'It's a nasty game my darling but remember where you're going and that the road is always going to seem longer, but every time you touch a ball a kilometre comes off the road.'

That paragraph of advice, that looks so much better written down, was some of the best I was ever given. I had it written on every single one of my school books, in my wallet, on my dashboard. To remind me who I was fighting for.

On my 18th birthday I woke to my Dad's hoarse voice.
'Dear Miss Daisy Cook, I am writing on behalf of the South Australian selectors in regards to your selection in the South Australian Scorpions women's cricket team.' I could tell he was smiling and even though I lay with my eyes closed he could tell I was wide awake.
'After witnessing your undeniable wicket keeping talent and obvious batting skills we would be honoured to have you join us this summer as a valued member of our team.' He read aloud, I sat up in my bed and stretched out my arm. Dad came and sat down beside me, handing me the letter.
'You play your game with such pristine etiquette and you are a very enjoyable player to watch. Best of luck in you endeavours and this summer, kind regards, Joan Crawford, South Australian Cricket Association.' I finished the letter and rested it in my lap.
I turned to my emotional father, his smile was the widest I'd ever seen it and I could tell he was fighting back his tears of joy.
'Well I guess I'm playing for South Australia now.' I smiled in attempt to contain my excitement.
'You're living the dream my girl, you're living the bloody dream!' Dad cheered, wrapping his arms around me and pulling my head into his chest.

So, only 3 weeks later I found myself dressed in the scorpions uniform and clasped in a huddle with a group of genuine Cricketers.
Was I dreaming?
Or was I living prove that God hears your prayers?
I was past the nervous stage, in fact I was into the terrified one. My heart was pounding in its cage and I could feel my hands shaking in my gloves.
'Right girls, you know what to do, you don't need me to tell you how to play this game, you know exactly what you're doing, so, do it,  hands in let's go!' Our captain Sandra announced.
"1 2 3 SCORPS!" We all cheered and I pulled my gloves on a little tighter.
'Do you have a favourite song Daise?' Megan asked, she'd been playing for about two years already and she's just celebrated her 21st birthday only two days before.
'A favourite song?' I responded, kinda delirious.
'Yeah a favourite song, you're nervous as hell, it's pretty obvious.' She chuckled.
'Um, 3am by Matchbox 20.' I replied.
'Oh I love that song, now when you're squatting behind the stumps, hum that song, it calms you down, I promise.' She patted my shoulder before running off to mid wicket.
'WHOO LETS GO SCORPIONS!' I could hear my Dad bellowing in the stands.
'Your Dad was an amazing player,' the batsmen said, securing her helmet. 'I used to study his technique but it was so unique I couldn't do it, I'd love to meet him afterwards.'
I didn't really know how or if I should respond, so I just nodded and got down in my crouch.

About half way through the innings, I'd gotten three run outs and a stumping.  I was in form, my whole being was in its element. I could see Margot with the ball, she was a spinner and a quick one at that. I hadn't kept wicket to her before, but I knew I had to be on my game.
'She said it's cold outside as she hands me my raincoat.' I sang softly under my breath, my gloved hands between my legs.
'She's always worried about things like that.' I heard Megan sing.
Margot let the ball out of her fingers, it spun rapidly and the batsmen made her way down the pitch, the ball flew into my gloves and then straight onto the stops.
'YEAH!' I jumped up, reaching a hand to the sky. The umpire raised his finger and the South Australian Scorpions cheered, their hands tapping my helmet.
'Good one.' Megan smiled and I couldn't help by join her.

'Bloody hell, you starred out their today bub.' Dad took me in his arms, I closed my eyes and rested my head on his shoulder.
'Thanks Dad.' I muttered. I opened my eyes slowly and was instantly drawn to a guy sitting behind us, beside his mate. He had dark hair, cut into a short back and sides style. His eyes were the bluest I had ever seen and he smiled at me.
I smiled back of course, it would've been rude not to.
'Hey Dad there was a girl who wanted to meet you, plays for New South Wales, tall blonde.' I explained.
'Righto, I'll be back.' I watched him stroll away as I strolled confidently over to this guy.
'Could I have your autograph? Reckon it'll be worth something one day.' He stated, holding out his black and red, west end red backs hat. (That's the men's South Australian side)
'Might ask for yours.' I replied, signing his hat, and handing him mine.
'I'm Dylan Wright, but ah everyone calls me Lefty.' Dylan put out his hand.
'I'm Daisy, Daisy Cook.' I replied shaking his hand.
'Daisy, I've never met a Daisy, it's a pleasure to meet you Daisy Cook.' He smiled up at me.
'Same to you, what happened to your mate?' I asked.
'Oh Sam went to get something to eat, we should be at training but we thought we'd support you girls instead.' Dylan chuckled.
'Like Red Back training?'
'Yes actually, I just turned 18 and I'm playing for the red backs, it still doesn't seem real.' He stated.
'Tell me about it.' I replied.
He couldn't wipe the smile off his face and if we're being honestly, neither could I.