Know You're Not Alone

Daisy
••December 2011••

Laying in bed that very same night, staring at the photograph of Dylan and I during our magazine shoot after our wedding. We're sitting upon a hillside, lost in the beautiful sunset and drowning hopelessly in each other's love. His hair looks blonde in the natural light and we were both at peace.

The half drunk bottle of Bundy rum stands tall beside the photograph as the clock ticks over 1 am

The half drunk bottle of Bundy rum stands tall beside the photograph as the clock ticks over 1 am. I lie shirtless in my bed, my body so sore and bruises so tender I can hardly move, but still I force my feet onto the floor and wonder towards the shower down the hall way. I undress and step under the gushing water, instantly I sink to my knees in a blubbering ball of worthlessness.
I never thought that something like sexual harassment would happen to me, rape is a news story not a reality.
Oh how wrong I was.

I study the purple bruise on my rib cage, wincing when my finger presses softly against it.
I groan and climb out of the shower, wrapping my towel around my shaking body. Nausea fills my stomach at the thought of a game of cricket tomorrow.
I bolt to the toilet and attempt to hurl all the angst I can muster into the bowl but it's still there.

"Bloody hell Daise!" Dylan's huge hands gather up my hair and pull it back as I vomit again.
I fall into his chest, his arms wrap around my torso and his lips press against the top of my head.

"He raped me Dylan," I blubber.
Dylan pulls away quickly, grabbing my face.
"Who fucking did Daisy Wright-Cook?" He snarls.

"The Aussie physio, in the change rooms." I precede to tell him every detail of those unforgettable, awful moments.
Tears trickle down his cheeks as he attempts to hide all emotion that just wants to fly out of his body.
It does eventually, he throws his arms around me and holds me close as we cry.

"I'm sorry Daisy, I'm so sorry my beautiful girl, I'm so fucking sorry." He wails, kissing my face.
I melt in his arms, thanking god for a husband like him.

"Don't be sorry, just love me through it." I sniff, he curls his lips in before kissing me softly.

He pulls away, "I'm sorry the last thing you want is to kissed." He wipes his mouth.

I shake my head; "I love you Dylan Wright, I love you so much."

He picks me up, cradling me in his strong arms.

-
I stand at the gates of Adelaide oval, my bag of gear trailing behind me, my water bottle clasped in my hand.

"Want me to talk to Belinda?" Dylan asks.

"No, I'll be fine, she saved you a seat in the box though." I inform, linking my arm in his. He kisses my temple, reminding me how proud he is.

I trek into the change rooms and am greeted by the smiling faces of my team.

"Heya Daise!" Megan throws her arms around me, hugging me tight.

"G'day Megga, morning girls!" I grin, thankful that I have these girls as my mates.

"Ahh, Daisy Wright-Cook, wasn't sure I'd be seeing you today." Belinda signs a sheet as she greets me.

"Why's that?" I furrow my eyebrows.

"Brian, the physio, said you weren't feeling 100% yesterday, you're all good now yes?" Belinda asks.

"Yes I'm fine, I was fine yesterday too, where did he get that from?" I question with a chuckle.

"I dunno but I'm glad you're all good, now girls gear on, down in the nets in ten minutes." Belinda orders before walking outside with our assault coach Rachel.

I slump down onto a bench, swigging timidly on my water bottle.
"What happened to your wrist?" Sophie asks.

"Bruised them." I reply, pulling down my pants to change.

"You've got bruises everywhere." Cassie states.

"Yeah paint ball!" I explain.

"Paint Ball?"

"Yes Dylan and I went paint balling last night, you should try it, great fun." I laugh.

"You two have such a fun relationship, I hope I have one like that." Sophie grins.

"I'm very lucky." I say pulling on my shirt, I always treasure pulling on that green and gold, it continues to give me a sense of worth.

So, out we trek, down to the nets and then into them, for an intense warm up before the beginning of the game.
Dylan hangs around, helping the bowlers and sending thunder bolts to me.
-

"Alright girls, bowl well, keep well, field well, I'll see you at drinks, good luck and have fun." Belinda pats our backs and sends us onto the field.

"He raped you didn't he?" Cassie whispers in my ear, her arm winding across my shoulders.

"What? Who?" I cough.

"Brian, remember that game I had off during the ashes?" She says. 

"Yes."

"He got me too." A dark shadow falls over her eyes. "I'm right here if you need anything, we'll get him don't worry."

She bounces away, leaving me breathless and with a rushing mind.

"Focus on the game Daisy-Dot, we'll talk later." Cas smiles before taking the ball.

"C'MON AUSSIE C'MON!" I clap falling into a crouch, my mind at peace knowing I'm stationed at one of the safest places I can be.

Kate steps out of the England barracks with partner Francis, she rolls her arms over, swinging her bat through the air before side stepping forward.

She sighs when she sees me, pulling out her fist, I push my own fist against her knuckles before she draws me into a hug.

"Good luck Daisy Wright-Cook, I'm so proud of you." Kate whispers, she pulls away and takes centre.

I crouch back into my stance as Cassie powers in. Kate blocks it letting the ball hit her bat.

"C'mon Cass she couldn't play that one! Chat it up girls let's go!" I chant, a smile sweeping across my face.