The Darkest Night

(A/N: Wow, Bri. So creative with the titles 😑 Anyway, the text above gave me an idea. Hopeless Hiccstrid fluff in this one.)

Snotlout grinned, hooking his arm with Astrid's. The blonde warrior looked at him with a smile and nailed his chest with her elbow. Slipping her arm out of his, she slowly walked up the stairs towards Hiccup.

His eyes met hers and she smiled at him, stopping right in front of him and hooking her arms around his neck, hugging him. The young man was shocked but gave her a small smile when she pulled away to look at him.

Hiccup looked at her, his eyes taking in her beauty as the moon shone it's light onto them and all of Berk.

"Why does he have to have one leg?" Tuffnut broke in, asking. The two turned towards him. "You couldn't have given old H a break?" Ruffnut asked, crossing her arms. "Can a brother get a leg up in this place? Mmm," Tuffnut sang, crossing his arms to look cool.

"No, Tuffnut, I can't," Hiccup said with a smile on his face, standing up. Astrid stood up and looked at them. "What kind of messed up yak doing is that?" Tuffnut asked, looking at both of them questionably. "It's a made up story. And you can change things."

Fishlegs interrupted, saying, "She's telling him that he's exactly where he's supposed to be. And so is Toothless."

Hiccup smiled. "We all are," He begun. "Even if things started out differently, I'd still be out there, fighting for dragons and we all would've ended up right here," He said, pointing a finger towards the ground.

Snotlout groaned. "Oh, great," He started. "Okay, so, you're the hero no matter what and I'm the muttonhead."

"Exactly," All of them said.

"Shut up, everybody."

Hiccup laughed and turned towards Astrid. He placed his hands on her shoulders and looked at her. "Thank you," He said before pulling her into a tight hug, wrapping his left arm around her waist and placing his right hand on the back of her head.

He pulled away but lingered for a second before looking at the others. "Thank all of you. For tonigh. For everything," He said, smiling softly at all of them.

Tuffnut pointed a finger towards the sky and said, "Like our. cousin twice removed, Sad Larry, always used to say-" Ruffnut interrupted, looking enthusiastic. "If you see a sheep on a hill, it's not worth the struggle," She said.

Toothless grumbled questionably while everyone looked at Ruffnut, not saying a word.

Hiccup inhaled. "'Kay," He said, not amused. "So, uh, what do you use say we get out of here? I'll meet you at the training grounds. I have a few things I have to do first," He said and looked at everybody.

Everyone nodded and set off towards the training grounds.

Astrid placed her hand on his shoulder and Hiccup turned his head to look at her. "I'll be there too if you need me," She said before starting to walk off. Hiccup grabbed her hand and pulled her in.

Astrid spun on her leg as he pulled her back and her hand landed on his collar. "Wait up, Astrid. You're one of the things I need to do first..." The second he said that line, he coughed. "Errr...that came out wrong," Hiccup said quickly.

Astrid was blushing madly and nervously laughed. "Y-yeah, it did," She said before looking at him. "So, what is it," She asked. Her eyes caught some dirt on the strap of his leather vest and she slowly started to scrape it off with her nail.

Hiccup coughed softly before a small smile appeared on his lips. "You forgot to mention one thing when you were talking about the story," He said and leaned a little closer, looking at her. "Oh?" Astrid said, looking up and gazing into the emerald green eyes of the guy she loved.

"You forgot to mention that I had a hopeless crush on you throughout my whole childhood."

Astrid pulled back. "Wait, you did?" She asked and looked at him. Hiccup smiled, his hands on her waist.

"Yes. I was ogling you whenever I saw you and there were a few occasions were I almost fell out of the forge window because I was starting at you," He said, a small blush coloring his cheeks and the bridge of his nose.

Astrid giggled, - not something she did very often but Hiccup loved it when she did - and her hand trailed up his chest to rest on his shoulder. "Such a dork."

"Yours truly."

"Corny too."

Hiccup laughed and pulled back, taking her hand. "Come on, I have to see my dad before we meet the others," Hiccup said and they started walking to the Haddock household.

Astrid smiled and squeezed his hand. Hiccup did the same back.

The walk was slow but neither of them minded and while Hiccup was inside the house, talking to his father, Astrid was waiting patiently outside, knowing that Hiccup needed to do this for his father before they went back to the edge to finish of what they'd started.

(A/N: The ending is trash. Sorry about that.)

- Toothless_NightFury1.