3. Helicarrier Lab.

BRUCE POV:
29th May 2012: Helicarrier: Lab:
I hear Fury mention he's leaving, but I don't take my eyes of the young lady in front of me.

She's terrified and I need to find a way to gain her trust.

She looks at me curiously. Then all of a sudden I jump at a loud clap from behind me as Stark breaks the silence "So!" Scarlet jumps out of her skin and turns invisible for a moment, before returning. She looks up at Stark, then looks at the ground, her cheeks turning slightly pink. I turn around and glare at Stark "What? It had to be done, you needed to see, when she gets scared she turns invisible for a second." He holds up his hands in surrender.

What he did was very rude, but he's right, we would've had to do that at some point.

I look back at Scarlet who is still either embarrassed or just shy at the moment. I pull over two stools and set them opposite her, Stark and I both take a seat, Scarlet lifts her head slightly, her eyes darting between us "Did you know you could turn invisible?" "No, she didn't." Stark answers for her, as she shakes her head "Stark, I need Scarlet to answer these questions, even if she doesn't know it, she'll know more about it than you." "You won't get much out of her, took me a few days before she'd say more than 5 words at one time."

Well, I can't give up, even is she's incredibly shy.

"Scarlet, do you know why this happened to you now of all times?" "Pepper." I hear Stark whisper his girlfriend's name into my ear. Director Fury had already explained everything Stark said over the phone, but I need Scarlet to talk to me, so I try to ignore him and focus solely on Scarlet "Pepper." For the first time she says something, she speaks in such a quiet, gentle voice "Ha! I told you!" I see Scarlet jump and disappear again.

It seems since the first time of turning she's turning more and it definitely happens with loud noises.

I turn to Stark "Would you mind leaving?" "But I was right." "I don't care if you're right or not, please, leave." He lets out a little huff and walks out of the room, I turn to see Scarlet watching him walk out the door, she looks a little sad about him leaving "Sorry about that, we just need to focus on figuring this out, he's just a distraction." She nods her head slightly and looks into my eyes, I smile before continuing "So, you said Pepper, why did she kick it off?" I see her hesitate for a moment and she looks down at her hands, fiddling with a button on her dress, her voice is now even quieter than before "M-Made me nervous, talking too much, too fast." "Alright, Stark said you don't talk much, why is that?" "I-I don't feel... comfortable around people." "Friends?" She shakes her head "Family?" She looks up and nods, a small smile appearing on her face, then she looks back down "Tony is the closest person to me, after family."

She's got no friends, just family and Stark, poor her.

"So Pepper made you shy, so turned you invisible, has no one made you that shy before then? Surely you grew up around people?" "Home-schooled for secondary years."

Secondary years? Hang on a minute.

"Are you not American?" She shakes her head "British."

Oh okay, I didn't realise her accent. That makes sense, her family must have moved here at some point then, I don't need to bother asking about that right now. So she's been home-schooled since 11/12 years old, so the only people she has been around were her family, but why?

"Why were you home-schooled?" She takes a deep breath before continuing "I was bullied." "Because you don't talk much?" "No. That happened as a result."

Okay so she stopped talking and got home-schooled because she was bullied, got it, I'm not going to upset her further by asking about the bullying.

"Alright, so the reason for you being able to turn invisible must have taken place between ages 11 and now. Any ideas?"