17. 1st June 2012.

NATASHA POV:
1st June 2012: Helicarrier: Gym:
Last night before I got ready for bed Fury asked me to train Scarlet today, so that's where I'm heading now, to the gym, in my workout gear.

I'm not sure what to expect, can she fight at all or am I going to have to teach her everything? At least she's female, it's always easier to teach someone of the same gender.

I reach the gym and notice Steve in the corner having a go at a punch bag "Hey Cap." "Oh hey, Nat, you working out?" "Got to see what Scarlet's capable of." "I see." I start moving some of the equipment out of the way.

What do I want to test her with first?

"Hello?" I look up to see Scarlet's head poking round the corner of the door "Come on in." She puts her bag on the ground and walks over, she's wearing a pair of pink sparkly shorts, a grey tank top and a pair of sneakers. She approaches me and ties her hair up.

Well, that's distracting.

"Fury asked me to test your physical abilities, what can you already do?" "Um... nothing? I don't know." She starts to turn a little pink, I notice Steve is quietening down during his workout "What's your strength like?" She shakes her head. "Can you run?" She gives me an unsure face. "Can you dodge attacks?" She shrugs her shoulders.

She's not making this any easier, I need to just get her to do everything, she clearly doesn't know what she's capable of. I'll have to start from the beginning.

"Okay, let's warm up, then run round the room twice, as fast as you can." She runs round, when she finishes, she's panting "Not great, you're rather slow. Here." I hand her a bottle of water "Thank you." She takes a few sips and calms her breathing down "Okay, I'm going to show you how to dodge and block attacks." I position her into a fighting stance, I get myself into a fighting stance "I'm going to slowly aim punches at you, I need you to jump to the side, duck or jump backwards to dodge them. Just don't get out of your stance."

SCARLET:
1st June 2012: Helicarrier: Gym:
I see her fist come flying at my face, I manage to move just in time.

I thought she said SLOWLY, that was not slowly!

She aims a punch at my torso, I manage to swerve out of the way. After about 5 minutes she has only hit me twice, once in the gut and once on my arm.

I can already feel the bruises forming.

"Okay, you're pretty good at dodging, let's move on to blocking." She raises my arms in a particular way, she shows me how to block attacks from different angles. Then she throws a few punches at me, I do my best to block them with my arms and hands, I block about half and manage to dodge all but one, which got me in the gut again "Good, now pick up a stick." She points to some sparring sticks leant up against the wall, she collects one too "These represent weapons for hand to hand combat." She shows me how to block attacks as she tries hitting me with the stick, I dodge or block all strikes, a few times she tries to trick me by aiming for my ankles to knock me off my feet, but I jump over it with ease.

That's one thing I know I can do well, jumping. I love skipping with ropes.

"Good, I think you've got the hang of blocking and dodging now." I give her an enthusiastic nod, as I take a few more sips of water and settle my breathing.

I don't know why, but this is rather fun.

"Alright, let's spar, I'll show you how to use it as a weapon." Natasha shows me how to use the sparring stick to attack, I'm holding it correctly and aiming it the best I can, but I can't get a hit in. Natasha's just blocking and dodging every swing "Okay, okay! Stop before you hurt yourself! You need more power behind your swing. Later we'll have a look at your strength." She takes both sticks and puts them both against the wall, she puts her hands on her hips "What am I going to do with you, eh?" She's trying to sound serious but her voice isn't letting her. I start giggling at her acting "Hey!"