Previously

The white dress really did look like a wedding dress which made me a little weary.

If the prince chooses me, I'm trapped in this mess that I still don't know all the answers to and the possibility that I could die which neither Devon nor Micah seems to give two fucks about.

Simone has no idea what she's getting herself into. She doesn't know that becoming the prince's mate will end in her death.

There was a knock on the door and I smoothed my dress down thinking it was the soldier taking me to the festivities but instead it was Cheryl and Devon.

They looked at me and smiled reminding me of my parents if they were here to see me.

"I knew you'd look beautiful." Cheryl starts, "Beautiful princess."

"Queen." Devon corrected, "If Micah knows what's good for him, it shouldn't be a hard decision."

I give him a tight smile, not being able to treat him the same after what I've heard but I'll talk to him about that after the Red Moon and the Funeral.

Talking about funerals.

"How are the King and Queen?" I ask and Devon sighs before collecting a few fruits from the table next to me.

"The queen is hiding her distaste for Simone whilst ordering everyone else to ensure we keep a tight ship and to forget about her impending death." He informs and I can't help but feel sorry for her, "The king, on the other hand, has gone around taking in the beauty of the world."

Total opposites.

Cute opposites.

I wish I found a strong bond with my husband like the Queen does. The whole Veronica thing aside.

"Are you nervous ?" Cheryl questions and I give her a shrug

"If the prince does choose me, I'll be the queen of the whole race. That's a lot, I'm only 17." I say expressing something that I'd kept under wraps the whole time here.

Devon whistles, "17." He starts, "I always forget how young you are."

I hum in acknowledgment and Cheryl snorts making me look at her with a raised eyebrow.

"You may be 17 but like you said before, it shows a different perspective. One that I look up to and who listen to because you're wise, Elise. No one else would do a better job."

Coming from Cheryl that meant a lot more than I thought it would.

No matter the technicalities of her trying to kill me, I still idolise her and I've never met anyone stronger than her.

I smile in appreciation, "Have you talked to your dad?"

Cheryl's face visibly dropped, "He's officially disowned me so as of now, I'm homeless and nameless."

"You can stay with me." I suggest taking her hand in mine, "Wherever I end up, you'll stay with me."

She gives me a small smile before nodding her head.

There was a knock on the door and we all turned to look at it. A soldier walked in and nodded at me telling me it's time to go.

Releasing a deep breath, I follow the soldier with Devon and Cheryl in tow.

Devon kept telling me how today's events will happen but i couldn't concentrate on what he's saying.

All I could think is; holy shit I made it to the final two and might become a Queen, the role millions of girls wanted and the role only one girl can get.