6 - Best Served Cold

Julian's return home was meant to be a joyful occassion. After working for so long, they had finally managed to bring him back. Yet, while majority were happy at Julian's return, there was a cloud of tension cast over the Salvatore home. It came int he form of Candice, who'd not spoken a single word to Lily since the warehouse.

Everyone had expected her to yell. To scream, shout, yell, and cry until she lost her voice. But she didn't. She kept to herself, a blank expression on her face when she any memember of her supposed family, glaring icily whenever she came face to face with Lily. For once in her life, Candice was jealous of Valerie. She now the black sheep of the family, and didn't have to live in the house anymore.

That morning, Candice felt herself finally snap. She could hear Julian having fun with Beau downstairs, and she could hear him complimenting Lily about everything. Gripping her bed sheets in anger, the girl sat up and grabbed some clothes, an quickly got herself dressed. She couldn't take it any more.

Shoving what she could into a duffle bag, she slung it over her shoulder once she was ready, and made her way downstairs.

"Candice? Where are you going?" Lily's voice questioned in confusion, spotting the girl grab her jacket from the stair railing. But she ignored her, making her way toward the front door. "Candice Evans!"

If it wasn't for Lily, she would of walked out of the door and not looked back. But she stopped her, speeding in front of her closing the door, giving her a look as she glared at her.

"Lily, move." She said as calmly as possible. When she ignored her, anger filled her tone."Move out of my way, Lily!" She then snapped, her icy glare growing even more intense. "Haven't you done enough to me already?"

The Salvatore woman's eyes filled with regret. "Candice, dear, what I di-"

"Don't you dare try to excuse what you did!" She snarled at her, taking a tone with Lily she'd never used before. "She was my sister, Lily. I was mad at Damon like you, I wanted him to pay for not helping our family. But not with my sisters life! That should never of been an option." Tears began to fall down her face, unable to stop herself crying. "You weren't even going to tell me! People blame me for what happened to her, I partly blamed myself."

Stepping forward to wrap the girl in a hug, Candice stepped back coldly, presisng her back up against the door. If Lily touched her, she was liable to try and hit her, and that wouldn't go down well with everyone else. Lily looked at her dejected, as Julian took the chance to step between the two women.

"Now, now, ladies." He tutted, glancing between them. "This is meant to be a happy day."

Candice said nothing, her back sliding down the floor until she sat on the floor, holding her head in her hands as she sobbed. Never had she felt so betrayed, and so broken at the same time. She wasn't a vampire, she wasn't a heretic. She couldn't just turn it off when her emotions became too much to handle.

She was stuck having to deal with the pain.

She hated it. She just wanted it all to go away. Like at the warehouse, Lily had returned to being silent, lookng heartbroken at the sight of the girl. Candice has always worn a thick skin, and had managed to keep a handle on her emotions, even when things got hard. Now that thick skin had crumbled, and Lily was the one that made it fall.

At this point, having heard the shouting, Mary Louise, Nora and Beau had gathered, looking at Candice sadly. She couldn't handle the staring. Wiping her eyes with the back of her hands, she sucked in a breathe and rose to her feet, dropping her bag on the floor.

"I need some air." She muttered quietly.

Lily didn't go to stop her this time, merely watching as the girl slipped out of the front door. Julian had been the one to follow, grabbing her hand and stopping her stepping foot on the driveway.