16 - I Would For You

The drive from New Orleans to Mystic Falls felt like a lifetime, in comparison to the seven hours it actually took. It was just the Evans sisters making their way back, after Stefan left them to meet up with Valerie, so the pair could go gather more of the herbs Freya used to mask his scar. They'd offered to hep them, but it was safer for both the girls to make their way home, just in case they ran out of the herbs before they could get more. Candice used the long drive to fill Amelia in on everything she'd missed, which had turned out to be a lot. As well wrapping her head around having her memories again, she was understanding everything her friends had been through while she'd been gone. Hearing how Damon had been coping was the hardest to hear, her thoughts having not left the eldest Salvatore since she woke up in New Orleans. 

He'd been trying to do right by her. He'd been trying to live his life without her, and make her proud at the same time, even if he screwed up along the way. All she ever wanted for him was to live his life without her, and he'd tried. 

"You should come to Dallas." Caroline encouraged down the phone. "Meet the girls properly, and me and Ric would love to see you."

"I promise, Care, I will come visit." Amelia assured, as Candice just shook her head with a smile. "I've just got some things that I need to do first."

"Like Damon?" 

Amelia blinked in disbelief. "Caroline!"

"Don't Caroline me!" The Forbes girl chuckled. "Come on, Amelia. You're miracolously alive again, you have your memories back. The second you two see one another, it's going to be fireworks."

"I--" The Evans girl shook her head. "Why am I coming to see you in Dallas, anyway? Shouldn't you be leaving to meet up with Stefan soon?" A small grin appeared on her lips. "I'm really glad you guys worked everything out, by the way."

"I will, eventually..." Caroline trailed off slowly. Both sisters heard the hesitance in her tone, exchanging a look. "But right now, Alaric really needs my help here with the twins. Lizzie and Josie are adorable, but they are a lot of work. I don't want to leave him on his own, overwhelmed."

"Yeah, no, that makes sense." Amelia nodded, biting her lip. She didn't want to get in the middle of something she shouldn't, she knew Caroline and Stefan would figure it out on their own. The 'Welcome to Mystic Falls' sign came into view, and she felt a nervous pit form in the bottom her stomach. "I'll call you soon, alright?"

"Yeah, okay." Caroline said, the sound of wailing starting in the background. "Perfect timing." She chuckled, before she hung up.

As Amelia put her phone back into her pocket, Candice pulled her eyes from the road and glanced at her older sister, raising a brow. "Are you ready for this?"

"Yeah..." She nodded, though kept her eyes on the road, as Mystic Falls came into their view. "I'm ready."

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

Amelia learned quickly, there was a big difference between saying she was ready, and actually feeling ready. They had parked in the town square, which looked so different to how Amelia remembered it a few months ago. Mystic Falls was a ghost of what is used to be, so many factors leading to the changes that happened since she died. As her sister made her way into the Grill, wanting to talk to Matt about something, Amelia said she'd wait in the car. In the end, she got out and began to walk around, trying to process of the thoughts going around inside of her head. She had no real destination in mind, but her feet didn't stop moving until she was in the cemetary, her eyes set on one specific headstone.