7 - Mommy Dearest

Thanksgiving, Evans Estate, 1851;

Thanksgiving had been a peaceful affair in the Evans household. With their Grandparents coming to spend it with them, the Evans family had declined the Salvatore's offer to join, and had spent the day in their own home. After a delicious dinner, the family spent some quailty time together before their Grandparents retired to bed, and Candice and Amelia were left to listen to their parents read to them.

All in all, it had been a great day. Though, it had turned rather sour when Amelia heard rocks being thrown at her window, and she loked out to see a tearful Damon outside. Having heard her sister sneak in and out multiple times, young Candice Evans slipped out of bed and followed her sister quietly, slipping outside and hiding behind the porch swing to avoid being seen.

She watched as Amelia sat down on the porch, holding ice bound together in cloth, and gently pressing it to Damon Salvatore's hand.

"Damon, just tell me how it happened." The eldest girl huffed with a frown.

"I told you, Amelia. It was my fault." He replied, flinching slightly in pain, but quickly getting over it as the ice provided relief. "I was messing around with a hot poker."

"This is clearly not a self inflicted wound, Damon Salvatore." She snapped, narrowing her eyes at him dangerously, before sighing. "Look, as your best friend, I have a right to be worried about you. Especially when you keep showing up here, with different injuries you claim you did yourself, some of which you can't of possibly managed to inflict on yourself."

He sighed himsel, his eyes flickering down to the ground, avoiding her eyes. "I... please, just drop it."

"Why is he crying?"

Both teenagers eyes snapped behind them, to see Candice looking at them in confusion, seeing the tears rolling down Damon's cheeks. The sound of the small voice surprised them both, as Amelia believed all her family to be in bed asleep, and had been careful not wake any of them as she snuck around the house.

"Candice, you should be in bed." Amelia scolded. "Mother would have both our heads if she saw you out here this late. Besides that, you should know better than to listen in on my private conversations."

As the little girl hung her head guiltly, the elder sister sighed and held her arms out to her, the younger accepting a hug instantly. As she hugged her younger sibling, she locked eyes with Damon over Candice's shoulder, who gave her a small smile and squeezed her hand reasurringly.

"Are you okay, Damon?" Candice asked the boy shyly, turning her head to look at him. "You look sad."

"I'm fine, Candice." He lied to the younger girl, who was the same age as Stefan. She was innocent, and like her sister, had no idea of the things that went on inside the Salvatore house. Of what happened when they weren't around, and he planned to keep it that way. "Go back to bed, okay? You wouldn't want to get your sister in trouble, would you?"

Shaking her head, Candice hugged them both before making her way back inside, leaving the two teens alone once again. They both were silent after she left, Amelia putting down the ice and wrapping the Salvatore boy in a tight hug, none of her worry or concern fading.

Mystic Falls, Present Day;

Candice was annoyed. When she formed her alliance with Stefan and Damon, after having to fight with her to make her go back to the boarding house, she didn't think she'd be called back so early in the morning. With the disaster that was Julian's party, despite the lack of trust she had in those was living with, all the Evans girl wanted to do was sleep.