Chapter 7

You didn't feel like dragon riding at the moment. Instead, you walked through the forest on the southern coast of the island, whilst Ember slept on the roof of your hut. The wind, although weakened by the trees, pressed against your cheeks. You couldn't help thinking about what the twins had said. Were you really acting in a fierier way than normal? And, more importantly, was it because deep down you were lonely?

'No!' you told yourself. You had always been a very independent and introverted person. You didn't thrive on constant company, like some people.

You had now reached the border between the forest and the southern beach of the island. A clamor of voices broke your thoughts. You instinctively darted behind a tree. Peering forwards, you saw about ten Dragon Hunters coming towards you.

'Scouts!'

Your heart jolted, but you soon came up with a plan. As quietly as you could, you gathered a few rocks, and scrambled up the nearest tree, onto a sturdy branch. When the Dragon Hunters were directly beneath you, you dropped the rocks from your hiding place, knocking them out. If there were Dragon Hunters here, you knew there must be more on their way -  with the Shellfire. You jumped down from the branch, and turned back towards the Edge, a sense of urgency flooding through you. You were about to start running back to the clubhouse to warn everyone, when, out of the corner of your eye, you saw two more hunters charging towards you. They had already seen you: you had to stand and fight. As they advanced towards you, you formulated your move. Just as one hunter went to punch you, you dodged out of the way. The hunter soon lost balance, fell over, and the other tripped over him. You dusted your hands with a satisfied grin.

At that moment, numerous huge, glowing plasma charges tore across the sky towards the Edge. They seemed to be coming from the ocean. The Shellfire! It was here! The shriek of the blasts split the air. You didn't even want to think about the damage a single bast could do - let alone several all at the same time! 

The shock had caused you to let your guard down, when the wind was violently knocked from your lungs, and you went tumbling to the floor, Ryker forcefully punching your stomach. Unable to get up, you urged your legs to move, but Ryker was already there, kicking you. With lack of air, you felt dizzy, but that didn't stop the harrowing pain as you felt your shoulder wound reopen, and several new wounds forming. Each time you tried to scramble to your feet, Ryker easily kicked you back down. After several minutes of endlessly trying and failing to get up, you were exhausted, and blood was gushing out from wounds all over your body.  Pain shot through all of your muscles, as you lay panting on the floor, coughing and spluttering. You were now completely unable to move, and you were pretty sure he had broken a few of your ribs along with your left arm. Breathing felt near impossible, and you grew dreary. Your eyes were scarcely open, making Ryker a mere blur towering above you. All you could hear was a thundering roar of laughter.

"Should we finish her off?" you heard a hunter ask.

"No," Ryker replied firmly, "let her suffer. She won't last long." He added menacingly, as he turned and began walking towards the Edge.

Blood was seeping from your shoulder and countless other places all over your body. Bruises were no doubt already emerging everywhere. You couldn't have moved if you'd tried. Each shallow breath was an enormous effort, one that would soon cease. Your eyes slowly shut, your breaths becoming quieter. You wished Ember was here. It would all be over soon. Suddenly, you felt someone swiftly pick you up in their arms. One of the riders! You tried to speak, but couldn't. You were losing consciousness. You opened your eyes slightly, expecting to see Hiccup or Snotlout. But you were not at all prepared for what you saw. Viggo. Normally your stomach would have churned, but you didn't have the energy. Your breaths were now even shallower. With one final sigh, your eyes flickered shut, and you gave way to darkness.

A/N: Sorry for the cliffhanger! I'll try and update again soon!