Chapter 32

Amethyst skillfully dodged and swerved around the incoming arrows from the hunters who stood guard on lookout towers. Honestly, for people who had spent their entire lives hunting dragons, their aim really wasn't brilliant. Although, you assumed the unexpected entrance of a Skrill might have caught them off-guard and rattled their nerves. Nevertheless, you pressed forwards, approaching the cave. That was the cave where Hiccup had been captured. You knew it could potentially be riddled was traps of all sorts, and your entry would be far from secretive.

"Err, Amethyst..." you said as the young Changewing approached the cave, unsure of whether entering this way was really a good idea. Unexpectedly, the young dragon swerved around the tunnel you had expected to go down, and veered around the mountain, keeping close to the rocky slopes. Trusting your dragon, you leaned to the side, helping her to glide around the mountain in a tight circle. There, down below, you spotted a small gap in the rock.

'Of course!' you thought to yourself. 'That's the chamber Amethyst and I escaped from the first time!' Sure enough, Amethyst plunged down towards the hole, and entered the cave with ease. For a moment you were dazed, the cool darkness of the cave a contrast to the harsh sunlight outside. As your eyes adjusted to the darkness, you dismounted Amethyst and scanned your surroundings.

"Stay close, Amethyst." you whispered from her flank. The air seemed heavy and dusty, as if some kind of explosion had taken place nearby. Beckoning Amethyst with your hand, she followed you obediently down the tunnel, keeping her wits about her.

Finally, you reached a clearing, where the dust seemed thicker. This was clearly where the explosion had taken place. Looking around, you noticed the lifeless bodies of hunters splayed in all directions. Your heart began to beat faster, as you noted their crossbows and swords had been thrown aside. The silence seemed earsplitting, as you stepped forwards, searching for the source of such destruction. As the dust cleared ahead of you, you could make out a distorted mound through the haze. Anxiety and suspicion replaced your previous reservations, making you run ahead. As you did, you heard the heavy rise and fall of a dragon's breaths. From behind, you saw the dragon's powerful wings, with formidable talons; long spines protruding from its head and metallic plates ridging its spine. There was only one dragon with those features: the Skrill. Panic filled you, as you ran around to the front of the dragon lying on the floor, the final remnants of smoke seeping from its jaws.

Seemingly sensing your presence, the creature opened its now exhausted, yellow eyes that seemed to pierce the gloom. Although you had never bonded with this dragon or even seen it up close before, it seemed to know who you were and precisely why you were here. Its eyes moved from yours, and towards the ground beside it, as it carefully lifted its wings and revealed Viggo beneath them. Your eyes opened wider with astonishment, as well as fear. Amethyst looked towards the Skrill, full of concern and worry. Your heart lurched, and you felt sick as you saw Viggo's closed eyes, and four arrows deeply lodged in his back. His sword was still clasped in his now limp hand. You feared the worst, as you were about to duck down and check for a pulse. Before you could, however, a surge of pain gripped your right shoulder, and you whipped your head round to see a dragon root arrow embedded in your flesh.

"No wonder he wouldn't hurt you." you heard the menacing voice of Johann leak from the haze around you with a chuckle. He then emerged from the dust in front of you, a crossbow in hand.

"You've really done it this time, Grimborn." you heard Krogan bellow from another direction. You whipped your head round again, to catch Krogan revealing himself opposite Johann on the other side of the Skrill, "Falling in love with the enemy." he shook his head tauntingly, a haughty smile displayed on his face. You could feel a growl rising in your throat.

"I never thought anyone could make my brother lose his mind like that." you heard a third voice speak from the other side. Again, you whisked your eyes towards the voice, to see Ryker stepping out from the dust. "Sad, seeing him so vulnerable again - haven't seen him like this since he was a teenager." he said in mock sympathy, but the smirk on his face told you he was enjoying every moment of this.

Amethyst took a defensive position, eyeing each of the men that surrounded you in a triangular formation closely.

"You!" you snarled at Ryker, "I thought Viggo - "

"All part of the plan, I'm afraid (Y/n)." Johann intervened.

"That is until someone let his feelings get in the way." Krogan said coldly, looking at Viggo's motionless body callously.

Ignoring the other two, you managed to stand up, glaring piercingly at Ryker.

"You!" you repeated, "You killed Ember!" all you got in return was a satisfied laugh from Ryker. Gritting your teeth to subdue the searing pain in your right shoulder, you grabbed your sword and charged at Ryker, hurling and slashing it at him repeatedly. Clearly not expecting you to display such a fight, he seemed taken aback as you relentlessly launched attacks at him with more force and energy than even you thought possible. Finally, you were rewarded with a deep gash in his side, as he went to unsheathe his own sword, leaving his flank exposed. He went tumbling to the ground with a satisfying thud. As he did, you noticed the scarred flesh on his left forearm, where Ember had bitten him. The thought brought you a sense of bittersweet triumph.

Hurried footsteps quickly approached from behind you, as Krogan and Johann sprang into action. Amethyst fired several acid shots at them, making them duck and dodge, and giving you a moment to turn around to face them. As you turned, you felt Amethyst's tail push you down hard onto the floor, knocking the breath from your lungs. You landed beside Viggo, beneath the Skrill, which was now staggering to its feet. Amethyst's tail held you firmly down, leaving you no choice but to remain beside Viggo. You caught her eye, as she seemed to plead you to trust her with this. Krogan and Johann had re-positioned themselves, and were preparing to strike. Whatever was going to happen had to happen quickly.

You heard the Skrill yowl at Amethyst, and Amethyst squawked a reply. Before you had time to work out what was going on, both dragons fired in midair, their blasts combining. It felt as if the earth was shaking, and a buzzing vibration resonated around the cavern, centered at the combined blast, and increasing in pitch and intensity by the second. You saw Krogan and Johann take a step back, gaping. The sound of the blast reached an ear-splitting pitch, as it neared its maximum strength, and the pale green and blue light was blinding. Knowing you needed to take cover, you flattened yourself against the ground beside Viggo, beneath Amethyst's and the Skill's wings that seemed to be shielding you from the imminent impact. You squeezed your eyes shut, tightening your hands into fists, as you prepared to experience the most powerful blast imaginable. The cavern grew stifling, and you could hardly breathe, as the eruption of energy was a mere few seconds away. At that split-second of a moment, you felt a familiar hand slip into your own, squeezing it slightly, and a breath against your ear.

"I love you." you heard the comforting sound of Viggo's voice whisper. Your eyes opened wide. But, before you even had a chance to process the fact that Viggo was alive or make a reply, an electrifying detonation of explosive power and energy erupted around you, with unimaginable force.

In a split-second, darkness engulfed you.

Then, nothing.

A/N: Hope you enjoyed this chapter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!