Chapter 12

" Training a squadron of dragons and attacking under the cover of darkness? Rather impressive."

You sat on a wooden chair across a table from Viggo, much like the first time you had been captured. But something was different. Ryker wasn't there for a start. You didn't know if he was still alive or not, but not having the point of a sword pressing between your shoulder blades was a huge relief. For some reason, your hands hadn't been tied. Viggo had even poured you a glass of water, not that you even remotely intended to drink anything this man offered you. You felt a bit better now that the spine had been removed from your leg, but you could feel the poison still working its way through your body in a dull ache. You needed that antidote fast.

"How do you know what I was doing?"

" When I saw what was about to unfold, I could hardly resist the prospect of such a show, so decided to investigate further. And I'm glad I did - it was a highly entertaining spectacle." He smirked. "A shame you didn't retrieve the Dragon Eye too, while you were at it, but we'll get to that later."he added with a menacing smile.

Behind you, you could hear a few Dragon Hunters tinkering with something, but there was no way you were turning you back on Viggo for even one second to find out what. Despite whatever charismatic front he might be putting on at the moment, you still didn't trust him.

'So, I wasn't hallucinating when I saw that boat.' You thought to yourself  furrowing your eyebrows.

"What was that, my dear?"

"Nothing." You quickly stuttered. "I heard you talking about a Changewing earlier. Now, hand over my dragon or else - "

"Of course." He said smoothly, peering behind you. Into the tent walked a Dragon Hunter and, alongside him, Ember.

"Ember!" He looked a little worn out, but his eyes lit up at the sight of you and he instantly leaped towards you, pressing his muzzle to your hand. Somehow, he had recovered from the poison.

"As you can see," Viggo continued, "your dragon is recovering from the Deadly Nadder poison and a few side effects of the cure."

"The cure?" you repeated. "You cured my dragon?"

"Not only that," Viggo said holding up a small vial, "I also have the antidote for you. If you want to survive, that is."

"I'm not that stupid!" you almost laughed. "I know your tricks Viggo! How do I know that 'cure' won't kill me faster?"

"Because," Viggo replied, "It seems to have worked well enough for your friend there. Ask yourself: why would I want to kill you?"

"Isn't that what you've been trying to do all along?"

"When you were a Dragon Rider, perhaps. But, the way I see it, you are now the enemy of my enemy, which should make us allies." you could see a faint smirk emerging on his face. There was no way you were falling for this!

"I don't know what you're playing at Viggo but, whatever it is, it's not working. Just because I have a problem with the other riders, it doesn't mean I'm going to help you."

"I hadn't expected you to agree so easily." Viggo said, not seeming discouraged in the slightest, and taking a sip of water from his own glass. "But I must insist that, for once, I'm not trying to trick you."

"I've had enough of this." You said, getting up.

"Come on, Ember." At that point the poison seemed to take over your entire body. Suddenly, your legs seemed to no longer support you, and you felt yourself tumbling helplessly towards the floor, before Ember caught you. You grabbed Ember's flank for support. But, it was useless. The light was fading fast. Darkness was engulfing you. Again.