Chapter 27

You couldn't believe what was happening, as you sat in the cell on an unknown island that you could only assume was Krogan's base. The last of the Deathsong amber was finally melting off your arms. The hunters had got rid of the amber, only to to replace it with thick, tight ropes that were now gnawing your wrists raw. Your sword had been taken, so you had no way to even attempt to free yourself. The room you were in seemed like some kind of artificially tunneled out underground cavern. It was dimly lit, with a few burning torches at the edges. Around you were at least a dozen Singetails, all trapped in cages, and uncharacteristically subdued. You knew you were being stupid not to find some kind of way out, or at least formulate an escape plan. But, the truth was, all you could do was think about what had happened. The thought of Viggo's betrayal made you sick with bitter anger, disillusionment and self-directed reprehension.

The feeling of abandonment was no stranger to you, but this was different. You had trusted him. You had thought that, for once in your life, you had been understood and appreciated by someone - that he valued you. And now, this. Had it all been a lie? Your heart throbbed the more you pondered it. It hurt. With a kind of pain youd never known before. Then something happened that you didn't expect: your instinct kicked in. Of all the disastrous situations you had found yourself in, this had to be one of the most emotionally taxing, yet this was the one to spark such a feeling within you. Lifting your arms that were bound together, you wiped a tear from your face. Something within you, your iron will perhaps, prevailed. You had to get out of here and find Amethyst, before she tried to rescue you and got herself captured, or worse... From the looks of it, Viggo didn't seem to have handed Amethyst over to the hunters, and a small part of you wondered why, but you dismissed the thought and worked on the challenge at hand: your escape.

You thoughts were soon interrupted, when you heard footsteps and voices approaching the cavern. You could see three silhouettes in the darkness ahead of you and, as they walked towards your cage, you began to recognize them.

"Johann!?" you couldn't help the word tumbling out of your mouth in surprise.

"Young (Y/n)!" you heard him say in an oddly malicious tone of voice you wouldn't have previously thought him capable of.

"I hope you're finding your accommodation suitable for the time being." He said. "Not that it will matter for much longer."

You made no reply, utterly confused.

"I see you are baffled at my current assertions?" he mused. "Out of all the times you were able to foresee the perilous situations that lay ahead of the riders, I'd wager you never considered this possibility!" He seemed to be almost boasting.

"Then again," Krogan added from his right, "it's not as if they would have listened to her, even if she had." he smiled menacingly.

"And how do you know that?" you retorted, fed up with the ridicule. Johann glanced at Viggo, who was standing to his left.

"Unless I'm mistaken," Viggo pitched in, his voice mocking and so different to how he usually spoke to you, "your dissolution from the Dragon Riders was one of the main reasons you were so easy to manipulate." Your anger bubbled and nerves flared at this, but you insisted on keeping a cool exterior.

"I must say," Johann remarked, turning to Viggo, "I am impressed that you managed to deceive her so successfully. I always remember her being a little more guarded than the rest."

"Hmm, he certainly took his time..." Krogan scoffed under his breath, clearly jealous. Viggo accepted the compliment from Johann, and was seemingly satisfied at also being able to irritate Krogan in the process. Then, his gaze moved back to you. For a moment, you could have sworn you saw the smirk on his face disappear as his brown eyes met your cold glare. But, you assumed this was merely your subconscious' wishful thinking. This was it. You were never exposing yourself to anyone again, ever. You had had your doubts at the time, but let Viggo get the better of you. Well, you wouldn't let that happen again. You were determined that, as soon as you got out of here, it would just be you and Amethyst - the way it was always supposed to be.

Krogan's disdainful chuckle soon cut you from your thoughts.

"Even I can't deny it - you seem to have made quite an impression on her, Viggo." he mocked cruelly. "I've never seen a prisoner so utterly lost in thought " he had to control his laughter. Viggo threw him a flinty glare.

"I had to undertake the necessary precautions to ensure she didn't become suspicious." he snapped.

"If you say so..." Krogan teased.

"Enough!" Johann intervened. Krogan rolled his eyes, as his smile faded.

"Fine, then." he said, taking an intimidating step towards you. You thought you saw Viggo jolt slightly as Krogan readied his weapon, but he remained rooted to the spot after receiving a curious look from Johann. You mentally gulped, as Krogan towered above you on the other side of the bars. However, your expression remained unwavering, as you tenaciously refused to give him the satisfaction of seeing you scared.

Krogan grinned cruelly as he unlocked the cage door.

"Let's begin, shall we?"

A/N: Thanks so much to everyone who reads this book - hope you enjoyed this chapter!