Chapter 23

"Dragon Riders incoming!" you heard a hunter call.

"Everyone in positions!" Viggo ordered. He swiftly attached a small parchment to a Terrible Terror's hind leg, to inform the awaiting group of hunters on Screaming Death Island. He then proceeded to join you in your hiding place, in the crevasse of a rock face.

About ten minutes later, you heard the Dragon Riders land on the rocky island. Toothless gave out an echolocation signal, which sounded all over the island. After a few seconds of silence, in which nothing stirred, arrows laden with dragon root erupted from the rocks. Perfect. The dragons didn't have time to react, before they were hit, and tumbling helplessly to the ground.

 All except Toothless were now stumbling with severe disorientation. The Night Fury had managed to evade the arrows, due to his keen senses and sharp reflexes. Hiccup raced to his dragon. They quickly took to the air, firing plasma blasts in the direction the arrows had come from. However, the hunters still remained hidden within the rock formations. Although Toothless was skilled in aerial combat, it was only a matter of time until he too was struck with a dragon root arrow, having exhausted his plasma blast limit, and plummeted lethargically towards the ground, sending Hiccup hurtling across the rocky floor.

 Viggo had planned and positioned the hunters in such a way that they completely surrounded the riders, making any prospect of escape hopeless, and bringing a scattering of arrows from every direction. It truly was a jewel of strategic ingenuity, and you couldn't help feeling proud that you had been a part of the formation of this plan that had, so far, been a success. Then again, a tinge of guilt tugged at your stomach, as you remembered how Astrid had seemed almost regretful back in the forest. But, that didn't matter now.

 Next, Dragon Hunters came running from the rocks, surrounding the riders who had now formed a tight, defensive formation around their dragons. The fight didn't last long. As skilled as the riders were, they were completely overpowered. The riders were soon restrained, (as well as Meatlug, as the dragon root arrows hadn't had an effect on her), and loaded into the dragon proof cages on board the lead convoy ship, which lay hidden behind the cliffs on the far side of the island.

Signalling to Amethyst to remain on the upper deck, you stepped down into the lower deck, after Viggo. The  riders' dragons were staggering to their feet in the cages, as the effect of the dragon root began to wear off.

"You!" you heard Astrid shout in outrage.

"Hey, Astrid." You replied coolly. "How are things without me back at the Edge?"

"I don't believe this!" Snotlout shouted. "I knew you were annoyed, but allying yourself with Viggo? I didn't know you were capable of that!"

"You don't know anything about me. " You snapped, diverting your glare to Snotlout, making him gulp. "I can't say that comes as a surprise; you always did underestimate me." You continued in a slightly more collected tone. "And, unlike back at the Edge, I seem to be far more appreciated here, so it's only natural for me to stay."

"What have you done to her, Viggo?" Hiccup raised his voice, fury burning in his eyes, seemingly blaming Viggo for your change in allegiance.

"What have I done?" he replied in a tone of mock innocence. "Apart from aiding her in achieving the revenge she so rightly deserves," he said, placing a hand on your shoulder, "I believe I outwitted you, Hiccup Haddock - again." he smirked.

"Well, it's good to see that you fit in here, (Y/n)." Hiccup said bitterly, shaking his head in dismay. He seemed defeated in view of what he had heard. You narrowed your eyes. You could see he was trying to hide the Dragon Eye behind his back.

"One other thing," you chipped in, "I'll take the Dragon Eye too, if you don't mind. I'd say I'm a lot more qualified to use it than you."

"What do you mean?"

"Let's say that I have a far more intricate knowledge of certain Dragon Eye lenses than you could ever believe me capable of." You said with a smile, as you seized the device from his hands. He seemed confused, but soon shook it off to question Viggo instead.

"What do you even want with us, Viggo?"

"You certainly have a lot of questions, my boy. But, never fear, all will be revealed once we reach our destination." He put his hands on his hips in satisfaction. "However, let me give you a clue to amuse yourself with in the meantime: the word pain comes to mind." he said artfully. "Now, my friend (Y/n) and I have some business to attend to." He gave a smirk, and you followed him up the stairs, and onto the upper deck, without so much as a glance back. You sealed the door shut behind you. Amethyst greeted you warmly, and you patted her snout lightly.

Meanwhile, a Terrible Terror landed beside Viggo. You saw him smile as he unraveled and read the parchment. Everything was going smoothly.

A/N: Sorry if this wasn't my best chapter, still hope you enjoyed it! I've been really busy recently so thanks for being patient - I'll try to update as often as I can!