Chapter 17

It was dusk when you awoke, feeling a bit better and your head a bit clearer after sleeping. You could feel the dried tears staining your cheeks. The muscles in your core ached, as well as your fists and feet. But that somehow felt better - as though some of the emotional pain now manifested itself as physical pain instead. It was as if exhausting your body had given you at least some temporary relief. You rubbed your still-red eyes, sitting on the edge of the bed. 

You needed some fresh air, you decided, as you stepped outside the tent. The sky was almost red, as you instinctively trudged towards the forest. Although your body itself felt better, your mind was still whirling, and it wasn't long before your thoughts began tormenting you again. This was the forest Ember had waited in, where he had saved you from Viggo the first time you came here together. This was where Ember had stuck by you despite the risks, and rescued you from your fate. And what had you done in return? Nothing. That dragon had risked his life to save you on multiple occasions, and had now been killed because of you, and you had done nothing for him. You had got him involved in this mess in the first place, and he had paid the price. You started to run, hoping it would clear your head.

You had done nothing. Nothing. Ember was dead because of you.

You ran faster, leaping over rocks, and darting between trees. You hoped the roaring wind in your ears would somehow drown out your inner turmoil.

Nothing.

You sprinted, your muscles searing as the ice-cold wind pressed against your face. The brambles nipped at your legs as you continued to run, taking in deep breaths through your nose and out through your mouth. You ran to the edge of the forest, where the cliff was located. Upon approaching it, you glimpsed Viggo. He was standing at the edge of the cliff, looking out across the ocean. You came to an immediate halt which, to your irritation, disturbed a few pebbles beneath your feet and snapped a twig. You held your breath, but were relieved that Viggo didn't turn around. Thinking you had got away with it, you endeavored to  silently creep back in the opposite direction.

"I thought I might find you here." Viggo suddenly said, as though he'd known you were there all along. He turned around, as you walked towards him. You had ignored him pretty rudely earlier, and rejected his help immediately after you had left the cave. You figured the least you could do was not ignore him now. You let out a long sigh as you stepped beside him.

"I forgot to say thanks." You muttered, breaking the silence. "You saved my life. Again." You added. It had suddenly dawned on you that this was not the first time Viggo had saved you.

"My pleasure." He said, smiling a little. You tried to stifle a smile in return, but it wasn't very convincing.

"But, you still blame yourself. Don't you?" he ventured.

"I didn't do anything to help Ember." You admitted, your voice cracking uncontrollably. "That dragon died because of me." You felt tears welling in your eyes. You were once again exhausted. You couldn't believe you were on the verge of tears. You had always tried to appear as a strong and independent warrior but, here you were: virtually crying in front of no less than Viggo Grimborn, the ruthless chief of the Dragon Hunters. But, somehow, it didn't seem like that. You didn't quite know why, but something instinctively made you feel that you could confide in him.

"I'm afraid to say that I don't think your dragon would have survived much longer without Ryker's intervention. He appeared to be becoming weaker each day. There was nothing you could have done. If that dragon hadn't performed such a noble sacrifice, Ryker would have killed both of you. In some ways, it was my fault for not arriving sooner." he trailed off.

"It was not your fault!" you said adamantly.

"Then I suppose that proves my point." He said, "We are all very quick to blame ourselves when a situation goes astray. But, that does not always mean that we are necessarily to blame."

"I guess you're right." You said, feeling slightly assuaged. This conversation had made you feel stronger, a little like your old self again. You were wounded, but you felt a surge of power that assured you that you could carry on. You cast your eyes over the ocean, taking a deep breath of air. As you scanned the horizon, you felt Viggo's hand gently clasp yours. The comfort this brought you made you feel stronger yet. You couldn't help wondering what had happened to Ryker. Was he alive? He had been breathing when you left the cave, but what had happened next? He was Viggo's brother, after all. Not wanting to upset him, however, you kept your questions to yourself. That didn't matter now. As you looked back at Viggo, you interlaced your fingers with his.

"We will get through this, (Y/n)." he said, sincerity shining in his brown eyes, "Trust me." You smiled gently as you nodded, holding on to his hand tighter.

A/N: I tried to get an update out as soon as possible to make up for the delay with the last update. Hope you enjoyed this chapter!