Chapter 1

"And here we go."

Noor put the last piece of clothing into the suitcase and turned to Zarnab who was sitting in her window looking at nothing in particular.

"Packing is almost done. I can't believe you are leaving me in like what? three days!"

"Trust me I can't either."

A smile broke onto Zarnab's lips but it didn't quite reach her eyes. Noor sighed deeply and leaving the remaining packing aside sat next to her best friend on the windowsill.

"You are the bride. And just so you know you are supposed to be blushing like a lunatic right now not make this kind of faces."

Zarnab gave her a look and then shook her head.

"Are you nervous? or confused? Or both?"

"I'm terrified, Noor! This is such a life changing experience and I just can't get rid of the negative thoughts. I know Adil and his family. I know these people are trustworthy but what if it turns out not all that what appears from the surface? What if Adil and I, We just fail to you know....form that kind of compatibility that should be there? What.."

"Okay! Hold your horses!"

She held Zarnab's hand and gave it a tight squeeze.

"Zuby. I know this is huge. Your life is about to be changed in just few days. And your panicking is justified. But there's always two sides to everything. When you know it can turn both ways why you go for the possibility of it all turning against you? Think about the positive things. Like what if Adil becomes the best thing that has ever happened to you? What if his parents treat you like their own daughter? Why there should always be the negative possibility with 'What If'? Why can't you associate good things with it and leave rest upon Allah? He'll do the best for you. He always does."

The clouds of worry that were swirling in Zarnab's eyes were not as evident as before.

"How you always manage to make sense?"

"Well, we are a package deal of sense and stupidity. Too bad your engineer guy doesn't have a brother."

Both the girls giggled but soon a silence fell over Zarnab's room. Both looked out of the window reminiscing the old times they had spent together here playing in this house. Zarnab lived at a five minutes walk from Noor's house. Both had been best of best friends since they were babies. Zarnab and her mother Saboohi were the people Noor trusted with her life after her sister. Both the mother daughter duo were there for her when she and Izma lost their parents few years back. Noor and Izma had seen many ups and down together but all this couldn't take the positivity both the sisters had in them. After many struggles they were now settled in their lives. Izma was married to Asim who was an employ in a private firm. Their little bundle of joy Maheen was her aunt's personal doll. Being the only one in Noor's life Izma never left her ancestral house and settled down there with her husband. Life had taken a steady path and now they were sure all the problems were over. Izma was married, Noor was now a graduate and was teaching in a school, Maheen was almost four years old now and Asim was a doting husband to Izma. Life was not easy still but it was good.

"You know after your marriage if you forget me I'll personally come to kill you. And I'm not kidding."

"Nightmares are not easy to forget, sweetie!"