Chapter 33

Those were the most agonizing two hours of her life. She didn't know what was happening. Both Abeer and Saliha tried to contact Hammad and Rohail as well but they were also not responding to any calls. It was like they were trying to stop a storm out there and Noor knew this storm was going to hit her and Rayyan the most. She could tell.

Abeer's phone was continuously pinging. Noor gave her a questioning look which was reciprocated by Abeer telling her she also had no clue why she were getting these messages from her acquaintances.

"What's wrong with these people?"

Abeer groaned putting her phone aside.

"What is it about?"

"I don't even know. They are just asking me weird questions. Is it true? How am I supposed to know what is true? What is going on?"

The alarm in Noor's mind were blaring now. Something was so wrong. It wasn't for anything that whole clan of Khan men was not here. They were somewhere doing the damage control or getting to know what had actually happened.

With a thudding heart Noor picked her phone up from the couch she was sitting on. There weren't any messages. She already knew. Why no one was asking her anything? Not that she could give them any reasons as she still had no clue what had happened but still the lack of activity at her own end was telling her what had happened was may be about her only. Or Rayyan. She had a real bad feeling about it.

Her hands were trembling opening the browser on her phone when the sudden commotion from the entrance made her look up. Her lips exhaled a breath she didn't know was stuck somewhere.

Rayyan took long strides towards where they were sitting followed by Haseeb. Noor got up immediately. His stance was tensed and his brows were wrinkled in an expression of worry.

"Rayyan? What's happened?"

Saliha had asked frantically but Rayyan just shook his head.

"Nothing too serious, Auntie. Dad and Rohail are just getting home. You guys go and take some rest."

He was trying to lighten the situation but it wasn't helping much.

"But there must be some...."

Abeer didn't complete her sentence. The look her brother had thrown her way was enough to make her quiet. Noor was watching this exchange. She had no doubts now that whatever it was, directed at her.

"Noor?"

His gentle voice brought her back from her surroundings.

"Let's go home. It's already so late. You must be tired."

He held her hand in his and threw a knowing look in all other occupants' eyes. Mumbling their goodbyes they made their way towards the main gate. Noor kept on staring at his back.

She still had no clue what had hit them but right now this man walking ahead of her felt like a shield.

_________________________