night meetings part twenty two

A sudden realization struck Allen so forcefully that he tripped on his own feet and had to use Kanda to keep him upright.

"I think we should head back now. It's almost morning anyway." Kanda gave him a concerned look, believing that his clumsy step was from exhaustion.

Allen smiled reassuringly at Kanda. "You're right. Lets get back to the Order."

Kanda pulled Allen close by the waist, and guided them through the crowd.

Allen and Kanda stumbled their way back to the order. With tired legs the journey back felt like an eternity, but they managed.

They laughed and talked about the different things at the festival. The thought that had struck Allen, had been pushed to the side almost forgotten. However the feeling of Kanda holding him close was not forgotten.

"I still can't believe you thought all this up moyashi. And thank you again for the scarf." Kanda pinched the blue fabric between his finger and thumb noting how soft it felt.

"Aw it's nothing really." Allen's face warmed and hid in his matching scarf. He rubbed his hands together to try and regain some blood flow. The cold bite in the air was nipping the tips of his fingers even with his gloves on.

"Here." Kanda tugged Allen to a stop and moved his hands into his. "Damnit moyashi your ice." Kanda cupped Allen's hands then places them into his pocket.

"You need better gloves." Kanda mumbled. Hoping their combined heat would warm them up.

Allen couldn't help but snort. "I don't have them to keep me warm bakanda."

Kanda went stiff and Allen regreted sayng what he did.

"Moyashi-"

Allen continues to regret every word that spilled from his mouth. "I... I mean you had to of know that right? I see...I know that....I can't hide my scar well but ..My arm it's..it's."

Allen couldn't find the right words to express himself. His anxiety and self-conscious thoughts kept hitting the brakes on his tongue. His eyes darted around at his feet fearing Kanda's gaze.

"Allen." Kanda removed his hand from the pocket and rested under Allen's chin lifting it. Their faces were centimeters apart, breath hitting the others face.

Allen didn't even notice Kanda slip a hand down and remove his glove. The cold air on his newly exposed hand made him jerk back.

"Bakanda! Give it back you complete arse!" Allen made a grab for it but Kanda pulled in back behind him.

"Oi! Listen for a sec and kept your hands to yourself!"

"Oh go Fuc-"

"I just want you to know something before I give it back." Allen clenched his jaw in anger.

"I don't care about how it looks Allen. I've said it already it's apart of who you are." Allen was losing. Kanda's gentle words and loving eyes were tearing through his walls. He eyes had dropped to the ground but Kanda lifted his chin again. "You're beautiful Allen."

Kanda slowly slide his hand from Allen's chin down his arm and grasped his left hand. He lifted it up and rested it against his face, smiling in a way that expressed more then words could describe.

Allen felt his insides burn and twist. Kanda had seen his arm before, held the hand attached before, but for some reason the skin firm against his palm was a feeling entirely new. Allen stroked Kanda's cheek with his thumb. A smile breaking open on his face. For someone who always wore such hard expressions Kanda's face was soft. Small lines and crevices from years of fighting told a story on his skin. He could spend years following those stories, retelling them out.