Chapter Two

Smoothing the pale pink skirt of her morning gown, Rosalind entered the sitting room. Though she had been hoping for some privacy to write letters, she found her sister-in-law, Lady Thomas Westwood, already there. Holding back a sigh, Rosalind forced a smile.

"Good morning, Rosalind," the woman said, lifting her gaze from the embroidery. "How was the soiree last night?"

"Good morning, Henrietta," Rosalind said. "It was entertaining. A few of the ladies could have benefitted from more practice with a master, but I did enjoy myself."

"Well, we cannot all have your patience for such a task." Henrietta took up her needle again. "I did warn you that the performances would disappoint you, did I not? You and Evan ought to have come with us to the Dunbar dinner and met some of my friends."

Resisting the impulse to cringe, Rosalind went to the desk and sat down. She'd met the Dunbar family once and had no interest in furthering her acquaintance with them. That Henrietta called them friend was concerning. "I take you had an enjoyable evening as well?"

"Well enough. I do wish I had won more at the card tables, but such is the way those things go."

Offering what she hoped was a sympathetic smile, Rosalind focused on the letter she wished to write. She and Emily had played card games for treats or other small treasures, but neither had ever risked what little money they had possessed. Once they had grown, they both had kept far from any wagers or games that involved high risk.

Others in society, of course, were not so careful with their money. It had come as a shock to realize Evan's brothers and their wives were fond of gambling. As she thought about it, Rosalind couldn't be sure if Evan enjoyed the activity himself. He never mentioned losing or winning at cards or any other wagers.

"Has Evan mentioned any prospects of a house for you?"

Startled from her musing about her husband's activities, Rosalind glanced over. Henrietta was bending over her embroidery as if to give the appearance the question was casual.

"He hasn't said anything about it," Rosalind said, watching her sister-in-law curiously.

"I see." The disappointment in Henrietta's voice was clear to hear. "Well, I am sure he is doing all he can. Perhaps next time he will make a decision before all of the good addresses have been taken for the season. Or perhaps you will purchase a townhouse for yourself."

Rosalind had long suspected her sister-in-law was not pleased with having them in her house, for all her exclamations of them being welcome and that they must stay for however long necessary. After two months, it was easy to understand how they may have overstayed their welcome.

"Perhaps, if we do not find something, we will simply return to Darkhall," Rosalind said, trying to reassure the other woman. Oh, how she hoped that would be the case! "The last thing we wish is to be a burden to you and Lord Thomas."

"My dear, you mustn't worry about something so trivial," Henrietta was quick to say. "Thomas and I are delighted to have you. Now, I confess if we'd had any of the children with us, it would be a bit cramped. But, of course, they are too young to come to town."

"You must miss them," Rosalind said softly, thinking of three nephews she'd met briefly in the fall. They'd all had the Westwood features, making her think her husband must have looked just like them as a boy. And it gave her an idea of what her own son may look like. The thought sent a burst of longing through her.

Henrietta lifted her shoulders. "Oh, no more than usual. They have their lessons with their tutor and Nanny looks after them the rest of the time. It won't be long before they go off to school, you know."