Chapter Eleven

The following morning, Rosalind dressed with care. After her discussion with her husband the night before, she knew she ought not to care about the impression she would make. As it was the first time the neighborhood had seen her since her uncle's death, however, she wanted to make sure her former neighbors saw her at her best.

"You look beautiful, Rosy," Evan said to her. He caught her hand and brought it up to his lips. "And finally everyone will see it."

With a smile she hoped had more confidence than she felt, Rosalind linked arms with him. Together, they walked down to the hall where their hosts were already waiting.

"Emily, are you well?" Rosalind asked, frowning as she saw her cousin's pale face.

"I'm perfectly fine," Emily said, a peevish note in her voice. "Why does everyone think I am not?"

"I tried to suggest she might benefit from a quiet morning at home," Adrian Williams said to them. Concern was apparent in his wrinkled brow. "But she would have nothing to do with the idea."

Emily raised her chin as if to defy them all. "I wish nothing more than to be seen once more with my dearest cousin and to show her off to everyone in the neighborhood. And if we stand around arguing about it, we will make an ill-favored impression by being late."

She started for the doorway as if the conversation was over. Rosalind exchanged one last concerned look with her cousin's husband before the man hurried to take Emily's arm. Evan and Rosalind followed them to the waiting carriage.

Everyone remained silent on the short journey from Waverly place to Ambershire's church. It, like everything else in the neighborhood, appeared unchanged. Rosalind even recognized the families who were just approaching the stone structure, though there were some subtle differences.

"Miss Cassandra has grown," Rosalind said as she allowed her husband to help her to the ground. "I wouldn't have recognized her, but for her golden hair."

"Her sister apparently married over the winter, so it's Miss Smithson now," Emily said, smoothing her gown. "She and her mother have accepted my invitation to spend the day with us on Tuesday."

"It will be nice to become reacquainted. I remember Miss Smithson being a sweet, unaffected girl."

Mr. Goldman's face blanched as they approached. "Mr. Williams, Mrs. Williams," he managed to say with a bow. "Lord Evan. Lady Evan. Welcome. I—" He faltered, his expression apprehensive and uncertain.

"Mr. Goldman," Rosalind said graciously. She held her hand out to him. "It has been awhile. It is good to see you again. How is your wife?"

"S-she's well, Lady Evan," the man said, stammering. "We were not expecting to see you."

"Oh, why is that, Mr. Goldman?" Emily asked, her eyes sparkling with anger and annoyance. "What an odd idea. You, of all people, should have remembered how faithful my cousin was in attending church every Sunday. Did you imagine such a habit would change upon her marriage?"

The man's face flushed red, whether from embarrassment or annoyance at being so chastised. "Naturally, you would not have forgotten Mrs. William's tendency to take offense at any slight she imagines directed at her cousin," Mr. Williams said, stepping into the conversation. "Come, my dear. We should enter."

They were the last ones to enter the church. Rosalind could feel everyone's eyes directed towards them as they took entered their pew. Whispers came from all around them, and she could only guess at what they were saying.

To her right was the Lawrence pew. It was empty.

With a sigh, Rosalind faced the pulpit and tried to prepare her mind for the sermon.