Chapter Four

The following morning, a large bouquet of hothouse flowers arrived. "It would seem you have an admirer, Rosalind," Henrietta said with a speculative gleam in her eyes. "You must tell me all. Who's eye have you managed to catch? Come, I must know!"

"I am a married woman," Rosalind said in protest, plucking the card among the blooms. "A sensible man would know better than to send such a thing."

She knew, without looking, who had sent the flowers. The only man she'd met with the audacity to do such a thing was Mr. Rowley. What did he expect to gain by making such a grand gesture? Did he think she would be flattered? Was it meant as an apology?

Flowers for the most beautiful rose in the room. Yr obedient slave, JR

"Well, who was it?"

Narrowing her eyes at the words, Rosalind shook her head. "Someone who does not deserve to be named." She crumpled the name card in her hand as she turned to the footman who had carried the flowers in. "Please take these down to the kitchen for any of the servants to enjoy."

"Now that is cruel of you, Rosalind," Henrietta said with a disappointed frown. "Are you trying to hide something? Surely you would name the man if all was innocent."

Horrified at the suggestion, Rosalind glanced at the retreating footman. She half-wanted to lie and say Evan had sent them, but what would that accomplish? "Henrietta, please," she said, knowing the man must have heard. "Such a suggestion will result in rumors being spread."

"What have you to worry about unless it is the truth?" Henrietta asked with a wave of her hand. "What do you have to hide?"

"Words have power," Did the woman really not know such a simple fact of life? Perhaps, though, Henrietta hadn't been the victim of rumors or whispers as Rosalind's mother had been. "If something is said, and enough people believe it, something becomes as good as fact. I have no desire to get caught up in such a vicious cycle."

"Oh, very well. Keep your secrets if you must." Henrietta flounced over to the settee where her embroidery was. "Mrs. Adkins and her daughter will be joining us for shopping. I hope you don't mind."

Raising her eyebrow, Rosalind leaned back in her chair. "I don't believe I have met them yet. They are friends of yours?"

"Rosalind! Of course, you met them! Last week, I made a point of introducing you. You must make more of an effort to remember people and names if you are ever to be of any use to Evan."

"I do my best," Rosalind said, trying to remember each event she attended the previous week. "But in answer to your question, I do not mind them joining us. I don't expect I will be making many purchases unless we make a stop at Hatchards. I am in need of nothing for my wardrobe."

Henrietta gave a huff. "If we must. You do enjoy reading, don't you?"

It was almost a disdainful statement, but Rosalind couldn't bring herself to argue the point. "I do. Next to the pianoforte, it is the one pastime I enjoy. My cousin and I would spend hours, especially when it was rainy, in the library with a novel. Discussing what we read made the time pass quickly."

"To each their own, I suppose." Henrietta bent over her needlework with sharp focus.

Shaking her head, Rosalind moved to the window. It was a rainy day, and it would be an inconvenience to dodge through the raindrops into shops. Still, it had been a gracious invitation from Henrietta and Rosalind was loathe to cry off merely because of the weather. Keeping on good terms with her sister-in-law was difficult enough as it was.

As she watched the rain, the young woman allowed her mind to wander. Why had Mr. Rowley sent the flowers? Did he honestly think his comments the night before would be forgotten? Was this his way of making amends? Or did he have some other purpose in mind?